damaged end thread on new drive shaft

c3dpo

Member +
Being an iditot i hit the drive shaft from the wheel hunb a bit too hard, now the bolt wont go on past a certain points, it kind threads then breaks away.

What are my options pleae peeps?

I've got one on the car unable to put bolt on. new one

And the fucked on I was replacgin.

Thinking of hacking the end bit off I squashed from the other, stick to new working just to get nut on then break off?

And other ideas or easier way to fix the 300m thread for driveshaft please kinda urgent.

Last edited:

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Im assuming you mean you've damanged the outer cv joint? If your going to tap the inner cv joint onto the driveshaft then make sure the nut is on the shaft first or you'll damage the threads.

You can get one for around £42 complete with a new outer cv joint, nut, grease etc.

Last edited:

SupaStu

Member +
Hi, sounds like you damaged the outer CV joint when you were hammering it? I made the same mistake, took a bit of filing and work with the nut to get it past the damaged part.

c3dpo

Member +
yeah the shaft that goes through the wheel hub, I whacked to get passed C clip in middle as all lined up and squashed the thread.

So dude above, what did you do? scratch, chisel, grease it

rep added guys

Iain@CRD

Lifer
yeah the shaft that goes through the wheel hub, I whacked to get passed C clip in middle as all lined up and squashed the thread.

So dude above, what did you do? scratch, chisel, grease it

rep added guys

Its barely worth the effort when a new one is £42 mate.

Have a look here:

23/30 splines - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m19b0s1304p9670

23/23 splines - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m19b0s1304p4289

Camskill dont have the 23/23 but you get the idea of how cheap and easy it is to replace.

stuarty1

Member +
rethread it bud its not to hard to do i went threw a stage of wreckin threads on every nut and bolt i touched lol u should b able to get a tapping set from a good auto shop hope that helps u

stuarty1

Member +
am i dout halfords would do them in that size as as i no the one round my way dont even sell them u may prob wait till monday and try a tool shop

c3dpo

Member +
The nut that fixed the bolt - Rep addded to all

thanks for all the support guys.

gGot ho halfrds to be sold 1 single shit file.

Popped into homebas 6 x mini files for 6 quid.

Now the best bit.

I fixed the thread by using the nut.

1. Lubricate shaft and nut with engine oil
2. Put on in reverse via adjustable spanner and tighten by hand
3. When you get to what appear to be stuck bits, unwind and slowly go over that spot about 4 times.
4. Nut off - re grease and remove all the filings and build up on both nut and shaft
5. Repeat this process until you feel you got past your fucked bit of thread.
6. Clean off, copper grease up and ratchet that bad boy in, if at any times it pops out from the thread you wil need to go back to stages 1-5.

so got the bolt on now but not sure how far to keep tightening as already bent pin holder???? Help shall I stop?

c3dpo

Member +
??? The locking cap goes on after the hub nut has been torqued up to 216Nm.

lol Yeah dad just owened me for that, had to hammer the pin out and get some more, re did lock and put in pins. Then gave it a few, now my dad said something abnout the wheel free moving? Well I can move it around and just got the brake scrape noise like normal?

Now for bastard sfhat nut #2 - I need a big dooby for this, or some earn yourself some cheese and help me out ;)