Decided to go TD04

marty

Member +
Well folks after a lot of debating (with myself) on the next step with the car I've decided to go TD04..partly due to getting a spin in one and it being a rocket ship haha!

But I want to know a few things if you could help?

Firstly, I've decided to go for the RRFPR, FCD route as I don't think much else will be done to the car performance or engine wise so I'm happy enough with this set-up. But after I get the turbo in, what would be a "safe" boost to run while I get her booked on a rolling road to get set up properly?

Secondly, do I really need a wideband AFR installed in the car? I don't mind getting one if it's needed but don't want to fork out for one if that's not the case.

Thirdly, I hate the thought of butchering my front bumper and changing numberplates etc. for a front mounted intercooler so I'm going to try an ARC style top mount intercooler from speedvision. Is there anyway of knowing if this would be capable of coping with the TD04?

And lastly, I'm running stock internals and would like to keep them internal (if you catch my drift), so whats the maximum boost you would recommend..was thinking 0.8-0.9 BAR..don't know if I want to chance 1BAR incase the car shits itself haha!

A long post but just want to be clear in my head about things..

Cheers

Marty

you could run 1 bar on it, a wideband is not needed unless you wana keep an eye on things yourself! id go with a front mount tbh way better job

Gilly2006

Member +
sounds like you have things all in order, i would have a front mount on tho instead of a topmount.

you can still modify the front bumper and make it look neat.

just make sure you get your fueling checked and set up right and you will be fine running 1 bar.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Running TD04 with FCD is not safe, you can do it at your own risk only and if your engine will blow, please don't complain.

danb87

South East England Area Rep
Running TD04 with FCD is not safe, you can do it at your own risk only and if your engine will blow, please don't complain.

i know people running td04 the fcd route, an had no issues.

its the cheap way of doing it but at low boost shouldn caus a problem.

What boost was your mate running on his td04 when you went for a spin as there is a brave difference between 0.7-0.8bar and 1-1.2bar?

Please don't expect the same level of performance if you will only be seeing boost under 1 bar :)

I'd also highly recommend a fmic (wepr has minimal cutting involved) to do a better job (gains are there)

I run all four settings on a standard rebuilt gt engine with emu, race-tech td04l kit and 370cc's mapped by CCM.

Dyno results here

Last edited:

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
I ran 1.1 bar on td04 with a fcd with no issues, as long you keep the det at bay and the timing is ok you should be grand.

marty

Member +
What boost was your mate running on his td04 when you went for a spin as there is a brave difference between 0.7-0.8bar and 1-1.2bar?

Please don't expect the same level of performance if you will only be seeing boost under 1 bar :)

I'd also highly recommend a fmic (wepr has minimal cutting involved) to do a better job (gains are there)

I run all four settings on a standard rebuilt gt engine with emu, race-tech td04l kit and 370cc's mapped by CCM.

Dyno results here

Think he was running in around 1BAR on his..he had standard top mount intercooler on as well. Nah I don't expect it to be as quick with boost below 1BAR but I'd like to expect in around 170-180bhp with TD04L under 1BAR, well thats the dream anyways haha! Has no-one run a TD04 on anything other than a front mount intercooler..it's a real sore point for me!!Don't think my mate has any issues running his with just his bog standard top mount but I would at least like to upgrade to RX7 top mount or ARC style..

marty

Member +

Should be safe enough if set-up properly surely..I would go for Greddy E-Manage Blue but was actually told by a tuner that they wouldn't recommend one and to go for a HKS F-con or something instead but damned if I can find one..

Has no-one run a TD04 on anything other than a front mount intercooler..it's a real sore point for me!!Don't think my mate has any issues running his with just his bog standard top mount but I would at least like to upgrade to RX7 top mount or ARC style..
There was a local GT running standard top mount and td04 adapter plate (to fit ct9 ported mani) self emu mapped but even that eventually blew a piston/cylinder and car has since been broken a while back. Engine health and the map would play a big part in that and it was just its time to go I guess.

Can totally understand your desire to use a top mount instead and hopefully it works out for you. We've all had to do bumper cutting but its worth it. There is no wrong answer to the setup that you want to run as long as fueling and other vital parameters are setup as best as possible with the best resources (ecu/fpr/fcd/injectors etc) you can afford.

You'll be surprised to find you can pick up decent parts like an emb or emu and a fmic for good money these days. Not just for the extra performance benefits but to fine tune your engine to last. Fine fuel tuning, timing adjustments and breathing play a huge part in turbo engines. Increased heat and restriction is not a good option Even forged engines aren't bullet proof :)

Hope this helps.

Joz

Last edited:

marty

Member +
There was a local GT running standard top mount and td04 adapter plate (to fit ct9 ported mani) self emu mapped but even that eventually blew a piston/cylinder and car has since been broken a while back. Engine health and the map would play a big part in that and it was just its time to go I guess.

Can totally understand your desire to use a top mount instead and hopefully it works out for you. We've all had to do bumper cutting but its worth it. There is no wrong answer to the setup that you want to run as long as fueling and other vital parameters are setup as best as possible with the best resources (ecu/fpr/fcd/injectors etc) you can afford.

You'll be surprised to find you can pick up decent parts like an emb or emu and a fmic for good money these days. Not just for the extra performance benefits but to fine tune your engine to last. Fine fuel tuning, timing adjustments and breathing play a huge part in turbo engines. Increased heat and restriction is not a good option Even forged engines aren't bullet proof :)

Hope this helps.

Joz

Yeah that's a big help! I know it's up to me what set-up I choose and would like to go for something a bit different. Think keeping a top mounted intercooler may help with lag issues as well? Correct me if I'm wrong but the air not having to travel as far as it would have to if I went front mounted intercooler would surely reduce lag a little?

I think if an engine is going to let go it will do it no matter how finely tuned your set-up is..you never really know whats going on in that engine.

Another quick question..when I remove my AC and move the air filter to the front of the car, what do I do with the wee air-flow sensor? Think that's what it is anyway..

Marty

Wanting to be different is also a good cause :) Tbh the increase in lag is minimal with fmic and a good tmic like ARC or Rx7 altho good for ct9 is not worth the tradeoff in increased heat on a TD04 (I first found this out on my ct9) and once you go TD04 your ebc (electronic boost controller) will play a huge part in your spool and turbo response times. Chris @CCM (local mapper in N.I) has my td04L spooling at 3000rpm and full boost by 3500rpm which is pretty decent.

I know Im repeating myself but 99% of all tuners/enthusiasts will say go front mount on td04 onwards :) Just read about wideband, your tuner if decent will have his own portable wideband system but having your own gauge will help your tuner greatly during road mapping for easy visual checks and will also tell you your air/fuel ratios on the fly when driving on wot.

If something doesn't seem right then you will know to back off or if idle is unusually high you can get it checked. I have recently had an innovate wb gauge installed and its well worth it.

My EP91 never had aircon to begin with but my air filter is at the very front of the bumper. I don't have the airflow sensor afaik, must have been left out during the FTE conversion.

Even brand new modern engines can go due to design issues so its all the luck of the draw. If you want your engine to last then give it a fresh rebuild, or as many do, rebuild it when it does decide to go, and if funds allow forge or go 5E ;)

Joz

Last edited:
Should be safe enough if set-up properly surely..I would go for Greddy E-Manage Blue but was actually told by a tuner that they wouldn't recommend one and to go for a HKS F-con or something instead but damned if I can find one..

emu will be spot on

ramses974

Member +
Well folks after a lot of debating (with myself) on the next step with the car I've decided to go TD04..partly due to getting a spin in one and it being a rocket ship haha!

But I want to know a few things if you could help?

Firstly, I've decided to go for the RRFPR, FCD route as I don't think much else will be done to the car performance or engine wise so I'm happy enough with this set-up. But after I get the turbo in, what would be a "safe" boost to run while I get her booked on a rolling road to get set up properly?

Secondly, do I really need a wideband AFR installed in the car? I don't mind getting one if it's needed but don't want to fork out for one if that's not the case.

Thirdly, I hate the thought of butchering my front bumper and changing numberplates etc. for a front mounted intercooler so I'm going to try an ARC style top mount intercooler from speedvision. Is there anyway of knowing if this would be capable of coping with the TD04?

And lastly, I'm running stock internals and would like to keep them internal (if you catch my drift), so whats the maximum boost you would recommend..was thinking 0.8-0.9 BAR..don't know if I want to chance 1BAR incase the car shits itself haha!

A long post but just want to be clear in my head about things..

Cheers

Marty

see my post
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums...p-%F9ount-intercooler-maximum-boost-with-td04

i was thinking like you to go to Top mount , not for cuting something in my car but in the way to minimize lag

marty

Member +
Wanting to be different is also a good cause :) Tbh the increase in lag is minimal with fmic and a good tmic like ARC or Rx7 altho good for ct9 is not worth the tradeoff in increased heat on a TD04 (I first found this out on my ct9) and once you go TD04 your ebc (electronic boost controller) will play a huge part in your spool and turbo response times. Chris @CCM (local mapper in N.I) has my td04L spooling at 3000rpm and full boost by 3500rpm which is pretty decent.

I know Im repeating myself but 99% of all tuners/enthusiasts will say go front mount on td04 onwards :) Just read about wideband, your tuner if decent will have his own portable wideband system but having your own gauge will help your tuner greatly during road mapping for easy visual checks and will also tell you your air/fuel ratios on the fly when driving on wot.

If something doesn't seem right then you will know to back off or if idle is unusually high you can get it checked. I have recently had an innovate wb gauge installed and its well worth it.

My EP91 never had aircon to begin with but my air filter is at the very front of the bumper. I don't have the airflow sensor afaik, must have been left out during the FTE conversion.

Even brand new modern engines can go due to design issues so its all the luck of the draw. If you want your engine to last then give it a fresh rebuild, or as many do, rebuild it when it does decide to go, and if funds allow forge or go 5E ;)

Joz

The electronic boost controllers are something I know nothing about..I was just going to set the boost using the actuator and keep an eye on it with the boost gauge. Would this be enough to do it or would you recommend an EBC?

Marty

marty

Member +
better off going external waste gate with a td04 mate and using a good ebc to adjust boost and gain settings

Haven't a baldy about boost and gain settings for external wastegates..that's only another thing I have to learn about lol!!

And would I have to lose the stock rad to accomodate the external wastegate? I have a funny feelin that might be the case..

Last edited: