Defective head stud??

shorestyle

Fresh Recruit
So I'm doing the head gasket on an ep82 gt turbo. I ordered some ARP head studs. The studs seem to be all correct. 5 long studs and 5 short (just like the stock studs) BUT there is ONE stud out of the 5 long studs that has a shorter pitch length.

It also looks like you can see thread through the solid portion that makes up for the shortness.

Defective stud?

headstud.jpg

lukep

Member +
Yep I wouldn't fit it just incase it snaps. Could have been damaged in the machineing process making it weaker. Send it back! Not worth risking the block being sent to machine shop to have the broken stud removed.

weeJohn

Lifer
It just has not been machined all the way, it started off as a round bit of bar and the threads were cut after so its not like there is any weakness in it. You could check that there is enough length of thread on it, that it torques down to what it should be before the threads run out. If it does it will be fine to use, if not it needs replaced. I would put it into position "10", the last bolt you tighten up, then if its not right, it can be taken out and replaced without any hassle.