Difference between ball bearing turbo and td04?

Sharv

Member +
Well,i know that this question regarding turbos has been discussed on several times on different threads but still i would like to know if :

1 Any1 running a ball bearing turbo on his starlet/glanza ?

2 What's the difference compared to a TD04 or TD04L?

Thanks

Sharvin

azerty

Supermoderator
td04l is journal bearing.
if you would have two turbos at the exact same size, one beeing ball bearing the other one beeing journal bearing, the ball bearing one would spool much earlier. this is the difference

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well some ppl write td04 i/o td04L its the same turbo they are refairing to.. there is more than one type of td04 however.. including the td04h by greddy..

the most common swap here is the td04l from a wrx impreza...

we have quite a few ppl running ballbearing turbos here, the only difference is bb turbos help keep up boost between gearshifts & since they spool faster they give more lower end power compared to a turbo of the same size..

kon

goldenvtr

Member +
And in most cases BB series turbos can run more boost.

How about in teh instance of the vf28 and td05h from teh imprezza's

apparently the td05h is good for 1.5 bar and only 1.3 bar on the vf28
both are of the same size but maybe its jsut all myth?

Sharv

Member +
Thanks for the prompt replies but is it worth going for ball bearing turbo on a glanza? Wot bout the IHI turbos?

azerty

Supermoderator
yes it is worth it :)
ihi do ballbearing turbos, like vf28 but as golden VTR just said, they are not as reliable as td05

Sharv

Member +
Thanks Lio,is IHI turbo from subaru only? How much boost do u fink it can hold on a forged engine?

azerty

Supermoderator
no, you can find ihi turbo on other brands. not all ihi trubos are ball bearing.
max boost would depend on models

note, there are diferent type of ballbearing turbos, garrett offers single and dual ballbearing. some brands do better bearing cadridge quality than others.

Last edited: