DIY short shifter

rwdrev

Member +
looking into making a short shifter for the 82. been doing some searching and also looked at the diy thread, but it only shows it lengthening the bottom of the gear stick (at a guess to shorten the forward /backwards movement) but also seen people making the rod on the side longer?!

from what i can see they have been made longer by around 10mm.

any1 have more info on this?

just i dont want to pay out for summit i can make for nothing.

russyb

Member +
yes mate you can extend it from the bottom and the top if you want to,
I had my oem shifter extended from the bottom by 10mm and it needed 4 small crush washers underneath nothing major,

but you could if you wanted to go to 15mm you can and just add washers accordingly but 10mm was plenty for me also on the diy short shifter wiki it says to cut the the square plastic mounting bracket but my welder welded the extended piece bit by bit and didn't heat it up to much so never needed to cut the plastic block off
pretty good result imo

2012-12-14181758_zps901988bb.jpg

2012-12-14181738_zps3bf29b99.jpg

2012-12-14175054_zps34b6d8bf.jpg

Untitled_zps9c4a5c04.jpg

probably the cheapest starlet short shifter on the market and still completely retains that oem look :)

Last edited:

russyb

Member +
yes mate that is exactly what you do but whoever is doing the welding needs to make sure the extension is straight so I had it proffesionally done for peace of mind

bongskag

Member +
mine came with 10mm alloy spacers for the base of the selector they just sit under the oem rubber mounts to raise it up slightly, as a result of this spacing I had to cut out some plastic where the bottom selector cable goes through the selector unit. it was rubbing when fitted, after that it was fine.

it gives a more solid feel when shifting, Ive managed to grind it a few times when trying to change up fast at High revs tho !.. these gearboxes arnt that great. anyone running straight cut gears ? ?!

Tercel

Member +
What I did with mine was heat up the ball with a torch and hit it with a mallet while in a vice. I just slid the ball by 12mm to get the same result without cutting/welding.

russyb

Member +
sweet. so did you lenghten the little bit that sticks out aswell? or do ya just do that bit?

na didn't bother as you can buy em cheap enough
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEGIWA-SH...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0a414ec4

but gotta add a well worth mod makes shifting so much smoother and faster

thats a gear stick extender from top mate. not a short shifter.

You really need actually read the posts before making a comment pal

russyb

Member +
What I did with mine was heat up the ball with a torch and hit it with a mallet while in a vice. I just slid the ball by 12mm to get the same result without cutting/welding.

good idea but doesn't the stick have teeth underneath the ball to keep it in place ?

Tercel

Member +
Yes, and the majority of the teeth are still engaged. It's such an extreme interference fit...I had to use a very big mallet and a lot of heat to get it to move haha

Tercel

Member +
Mine popped off fairly easily when I pushed on it against the work bench. You can also soak it in hot water for 10 mins or so and it's supposed to make it a bit easier.