Driveline Vibration

clys

Member +
Hey guys, this is the #1 and only issue with my car, and I'd LOVE to get it sorted.

About 65% of the time while driving, under moderate to hard acceleration, the steering wheel vibrates. Not violently, but probably half an inch back and forth, rapidly. This only happens at peak torque (around 3400-4000) rpms just as the turbo's gettin up to huff and you get pressed back in the seat. Feels like an unbalanced wheel at speed, but it's only under hard accel.

Also, it will show itself after driving for about 15 mins, sometimes it will be smooth for a day or two, then come back.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing this? I've rotated the wheels, switched suspensions etc..

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and as always rep will be added.

Thanks fella's

Clyson

starlet666

Member +
i would almost b inclinded to think it could b a lose flywheel.... mine came lose not so long ago for some reson....

Adam_Glanza

Member +
i remember exactly the same thread as this about two years ago, but i cant for the life of me remember wat the resolve was :(

definately along that path though, driveshafts / c.v joints / possibly even a worn engine mounting?

i remember at work we had a car that had a horrible engine vibration, only at a certain rev range also, turned out to be a stone stuck inbetween an engine mounting lol :beer:

GT_Ben

Member +
I also get this when trying to rapidly decelerate from high speed!

I know my CV is on its last legs so always just assumed this was the problem!

Do you recon the CV is the culrpit?

Ben

About 65% of the time while driving, under moderate to hard acceleration, the steering wheel vibrates. Not violently, but probably half an inch back and forth, rapidly. This only happens at peak torque (around 3400-4000) rpms just as the turbo's gettin up to huff and you get pressed back in the seat. Feels like an unbalanced wheel at speed, but it's only under hard accel.

ok....here are my thoughts
- check to make sure your steering column height adjustment lever is firmly in place
- check your steering rack to see if it has excessive play when the car is stationary and u turn it side to side
- check to make sure your steering rack is securely in place---all the bolts and rubbers which hold it to the fire wall should be tight and rubbers should be in good condition
- check your drive shafts to make sure nothing is bend out of shape----some drive shafts also carry a rubber balancer ---i thin the longer one
- check the track rods and rod ends to make sure they are not worn and/or have any excessive play
- check to make sure ALL the attaching steering components are securely in place
- get yours wheels aligned and balanced
- check the tire pressure in all your wheels and check your tires for any deformation
- check your inbourne joints and cv joints are all in securely and tight
- check lower arms and rubbers

those areas should reveal something

by any chance has your car ever been in an accident and minor scrap with a sidewalk or something?

Paddy

Lifer
my cv joint is fucked and it doesnt do anything like that. check the nut on the end of the driveshaft. wheel buckled maybe? wheel balanced? would be less when the tires warm up and get softer

clys

Member +
ok....here are my thoughts
- check to make sure your steering column height adjustment lever is firmly in place
- check your steering rack to see if it has excessive play when the car is stationary and u turn it side to side
- check to make sure your steering rack is securely in place---all the bolts and rubbers which hold it to the fire wall should be tight and rubbers should be in good condition
- check your drive shafts to make sure nothing is bend out of shape----some drive shafts also carry a rubber balancer ---i thin the longer one
- check the track rods and rod ends to make sure they are not worn and/or have any excessive play
- check to make sure ALL the attaching steering components are securely in place
- get yours wheels aligned and balanced
- check the tire pressure in all your wheels and check your tires for any deformation
- check your inbourne joints and cv joints are all in securely and tight
- check lower arms and rubbers

those areas should reveal something

by any chance has your car ever been in an accident and minor scrap with a sidewalk or something?

Thank you very much. And the problem just seemed to develop out of nowhere. I swapped my stock suspension and wheels back on, and it's still there. I will get it on a hoist to try and locate any troubles...

The thing that gets me, is that it's not 100% of the time, but getting close to it now...

Thanks again. I will pursue it further tomorrow.