Drugs, what the government doesnt want you to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

gv1.3

Admin
This thread is to highlight the hypocrisy and demonstrable lack of public health concern governments actually display.

The history of substance use and abuse is fascinating to me and is something I have researched for some time. Our memories are very short lived and no one would believe for example how widespread the use of cocaine was in the early part of the 1900's. It was in just about every miracle cure you could buy over the counter and was hailed as a tonic for every ailment. As the results of research regarding this drug began to emerge the true nature of the beast was there for all to see. Many people were extremely addicted to these so called tonics, ordinary men and women had become reliant on this readily available over the counter drug. It was then banned and that is when the true extent of its effects emerged with ordinary citizens resorting to the black market for their "tonic".

Fast forward a few years and governments around the world attempted to learn from their mistakes and banned many proven addictive substances but somewhere along the line marijuana became tangled in this web and was also banned. Many propaganda videos were put out to scare the public in to believing this plant turned people in to murdering rapists, especially black men!
The real reason for the banning was because the hemp plant was cheaper and easier to make paper from and large organisations had just invested a lot of money in making paper the way we do today - these organisations would have been ruined and so they used their political influence to get hemp banned.

Fast forward again... 2009....
Many studies have been carried out on the effects of various drugs and some startling facts have emerged. Most drugs are better for you than smoking or drinking. Earlier this week the UK governments chairman of the advisory council on the misuse of drugs announced that smoking and drinking were far worse than many illegal drugs. He went on to say that ecstasy carries about the same risk as riding a horse. Soon after making these statements he was sacked.

So why this thread?
This situation in the UK has highlighted the absolute hypocrisy behind the governments concern for the well being of its citizens. Lets be honest here the government make massive amounts of money when people smoke and drink and that is why it is not illegal. They have hired scientists and experts in the field of drugs to conduct research in to the harmful effects and when they report back in a manner that does not suit the governments agenda they are sacked.

I look at many substances that are used today and think to myself, will someone watch a documentary 100 years from now and be astounded that in 2009 there were these caffeine shops on every corner of every city selling triple shot large coffees to their addicted patrons, just like I watch documentaries about cocaine use in the early 1900s with disbelief.

I strongly believe that people who want to use drugs will use drugs. I dont think the fact that they are illegal will stop people who want them getting them. It merely makes the quality of the substance an known as the source is shady much like if we banned alcohol and you had to buy it from a lad brewing it in his shed.

I think this recent case in the UK merely tells the people "dont believe anything the government tell you because even with expert scientific evidence they will only give information that supports their agenda".

I would also like to say I in no way condone the misuse of any drug but I do believe it is an individuals choice. I dont like to see people falling around drunk on a Saturday night but I believe if they want to that is there business - Ive been that soldier more times than I care to admit :)

Comments welcome - Id be very interested to hear peoples feelings on this.

wesgt

Lifer
interesting read! but then theres the whole issue of one drug leads to another. there is a lad in my town, and his brain has literally fried from constant drug taking, i don't know exactly what he takes but he's been in and out of rehab facilities. he's your typical druggy waster! i used to work in a local shop after school and he would come in talking jibberish and drooling, and eyes rolling in his head. although i'm not one to comment on these things, having only ever tried a piece of hash cake in amsterdam. i've never even tried a normal cigarette!

gv1.3

Admin
good point on the gateway aspect of drugs. I do believe that some people will always be more likely to take something and then want to go to the next level but I think they are very much in the minority. They exist in the world of alcohol. Some of us start of drinking a beer or a glass of wine with dinner at home. Some of us go out and get totally shitfaced and die the next day with a hangover.... and then there are some of us who wake up and reach for the bottle of whiskey the next morning. Out of a group of friends I grew up with there was one of these people and there is no doubt he had a serious drink problem.

Similarly with non-legal drugs. Some people will want to try something and be happy with that others will want to try more. But lets be honest if you want something you can get it so making it legal is not going to make people who currently dont use it run out and buy it.

Ive seen people on here talk about smoking some grass or whatever but when you look at them they are in no way addicted or at risk of going on to smoking opiates no more than others on here who go out and get pissed on a saturday night will be drinking bottle or listerine in desperation of getting drunk.

wesgt

Lifer
oh yeh it depends on the person, if there weak willed enough or if they crave a bigger kick they will move on to worse. Totally agree though, if it was all legalised in the morning i wouldn't go out searching for everything i could get my hands on. I rarely drink, never mind anything else lol having tried that cake in amsterdam, it was an interesting experience, but i haven't tried anything since i came home and have had no desire to try anything since, that was months ago. Just depends on the person i suppose

munday

Member +
With the whole gateway drug...the way i see it is that if you are are the type of person who would do harder drugs, its also very likely they will try softer drugs too. Most people who i know that indulge are sensible enough to realise the risks of each drug independantly.

*Sparks up a fattie* ;)

pig666eon

Member +
some people just have an addictive personality mite be drugs could be drink or it could be gambling ect...

we are always going to have people like that who go to the extreme with it and has a bad story at the end of it all

what i hate is it only has to be one bad case for the government to step in, tell me im not responsible enough and tough shit which is not fair at all:mad:

gv1.3

Admin
but if the government hire someone to investigate these things and that lad comes back and says "drink and smoking are far worse for people than weed" and the government sack him..... surely they are trying to silence scientific fact.

pig666eon

Member +
but if the government hire someone to investigate these things and that lad comes back and says "drink and smoking are far worse for people than weed" and the government sack him..... surely they are trying to silence scientific fact.

no point saying if they have and not just yesterday or last year this has gone on for ages and everything has been snubbed

i could do a survey on anything and bring back negative results

smoking marijuana kills brains cells and so does carbon monoxide that i breath in everyday

brain cells die due to a lack of oxygen to the brain now how many things inhaled or ingested will deplete the oxygen in the blood causing cell loss?

the big issue they should be talking about is not how to get rid of it which will never happen and they know that but how to control it

they wouldn't ban electricity because some stupid person got killed by putting a fork in the toaster they would say it was there own stupidity but when it comes to drugs its the drugs that the problem?

munday

Member +
no point saying if they have and not just yesterday or last year this has gone on for ages and everything has been snubbed

i could do a survey on anything and bring back negative results

smoking marijuana kills brains cells and so does carbon monoxide that i breath in everyday

brain cells die due to a lack of oxygen to the brain now how many things inhaled or ingested will deplete the oxygen in the blood causing cell loss?

the big issue they should be talking about is not how to get rid of it which will never happen and they know that but how to control it

they wouldn't ban electricity because some stupid person got killed by putting a fork in the toaster they would say it was there own stupidity but when it comes to drugs its the drugs that the problem?

Smoking weed does NOT kill brain cells :homer:

Aidan-G

Member +
pig666eon..i have stuck a knife in a taoster before i didnt die but the toaster did and i triped the house:p

i like a bit of weed once in a while,i would just take a notion and go buy some and mightnt touch some for months then,but i enjoy it

i also know people who smoke weed full time,all day eveyday..and they are some of the smartest people i know;)

never listen to the government.

pig666eon

Member +
Smoking weed does NOT kill brain cells :homer:

im aware of that but my my point was its widely spread that it does and even if it did there is alot also that has the same negative results as they say its the reason for it been illegal

there is alot worse things out there than minor drugs and thats what should be addressed first

if they were really looking out for our well being and health they should get rid of the worst that is causing the problems and not the small stuff first

a factory spewing out tones of pollution is ok but a person who sparks up a joint is a criminal :confused:

The funny thing is, the government appointed the drug tzar to be "completely impartial", unfortunately he took this to mean he should be completely impartial, so when he announced (rightly) that cannabis, LSD and Ecstacy were no worse than alcohol, he was sacked (or rather, forced out due to "lack of confidence") because what the government meant by "completely impartial" was in fact "say what we tell you or you're out on your ear, sonny".

Alcohol may well be a great revenue for the government, but it's also a great drain. the reason they don't make it illegal, despite it's devastating effects on a larger minority percentage than many illegal drugs devastate, is beacuse this lifestyle we have requires escapism or we'd all go mad, alcohol is escapism for the masses. Make alcohol illegal, get anarchy.

ryan_v

Lifer
I find it really hard to trust anyone let alone the goverment.

Maybe they have pulled the wool over my eyes but you telling us that banning cocaine and canabiss ect and telling us the benifits that they have got from it seems to me like your trying to turn us on them.

Everything that happens, you need to ask yourself who benifits from it!

Look at the benifits we've got from them bein banned! Would you really want to live in a world were its not frownd apon, it destroys lives and affects everyone.

People that take drugs are just like you and me and if the goverment didnt have a ban on them I strongly believe that we all would be far worse off.

gv1.3

Admin
I find it really hard to trust anyone let alone the goverment.

Maybe they have pulled the wool over my eyes but you telling us that banning cocaine and canabiss ect and telling us the benifits that they have got from it seems to me like your trying to turn us on them.

Everything that happens, you need to ask yourself who benifits from it!

Look at the benifits we've got from them bein banned! Would you really want to live in a world were its not frownd apon, it destroys lives and affects everyone.

People that take drugs are just like you and me and if the goverment didnt have a ban on them I strongly believe that we all would be far worse off.

Im not trying to turn anyone on anyone I am merely making an observation based on information I see.

So Ryan if they made all drugs legal tomorrow would you be rushing out to buy some heroin? no? neither would I. Would the people who use heroin already continue to use it? yes they probably would but they use it already. Alcohol destroys lives and being an alcoholic is frowned upon but the majority of people who drink do so in a responsible manner and are not alcoholics.

If you dropped a person from a different planet on to earth and they looked at the situation I am sure they would find it difficult to understand why alcohol is acceptable but less harmful drugs are not.

Mr. Pike I agree with you on the escapism and I think its a very important point. As I sit here Im sipping some nice wine relaxing after working hard all week. Im not going to murder anyone after drinking this and I wouldnt murder anyone if I had some grass.

Its interesting to note that 12 states in america have now decriminalized marijuana for medicinal purposes and recently the federal government have said they will not be paying any attention either, could peoples attitudes be changing?

davehart

Member +
If the government were to legalise drug use and put a levy on it they would make a fourtune! Think about the amount of drug users there are who take pills, coke, PCP etc on a regular basis and I would suggest it outweights more than what people drink.

I hate drugs, dont condone anyone who takes them and woule like to see the pushers, dealers and smackhead users all locked up.

Just think if they were legal and the dangers that would cause? There would be pill heads all over the shop, driving behind the wheel, teaching our children and attending to the sick. It's right to keep them illigal, even weed as I hate that to and think people who smoke that should be arrested and locked up. Sorry if that offends anyone who smokes it but I say the same to my freinds and people I know who take them.

It's ever worse when they mix them with booze to!

More people take drugs than you would think and its a major problem that the police, government just wont do anything about due to one thing or another.

I'm very anti drugs and I'm sure I'm not alone. Never took them, never will.

Aidan-G

Member +
If the government were to legalise drug use and put a levy on it they would make a fourtune! Think about the amount of drug users there are who take pills, coke, PCP etc on a regular basis and I would suggest it outweights more than what people drink.

I hate drugs, dont condone anyone who takes them and woule like to see the pushers, dealers and smackhead users all locked up.

Just think if they were legal and the dangers that would cause? There would be pill heads all over the shop, driving behind the wheel, teaching our children and attending to the sick. It's right to keep them illigal, even weed as I hate that to and think people who smoke that should be arrested and locked up. Sorry if that offends anyone who smokes it but I say the same to my freinds and people I know who take them.

It's ever worse when they mix them with booze to!

More people take drugs than you would think and its a major problem that the police, government just wont do anything about due to one thing or another.

I'm very anti drugs and I'm sure I'm not alone. Never took them, never will.

everyone has there own opinion:)were all different

eoinl4529

Member +
in my opinion weed is a harmless drug. it helps people to relax without going mad and jumping around like you would from drink
but heroine, cocaine, d10s(PILLS) and all those drugs that wreck your head and turn you mad are bad and should be kept illegal

gv1.3

Admin
Just think if they were legal and the dangers that would cause? There would be pill heads all over the shop, driving behind the wheel, teaching our children and attending to the sick.

interesting point of view Dave, but what makes you think that is the case? Would you and everyone you know be rushing out to take all those drugs if they were legal? And all of those substances are easy to get now yet most people dont use them.

I can only speak for myself here but if every drug known to man was made legal in the morning I wouldnt have any interest in going and buying them, I dont like speaking for other people but I cant see any of my friends rushing out to do them either.

Alcohol is legal and I am not an alcoholic.

Appreciate all the comments so far, this thread was opened to get everyones opinion and this is not a topic you can be right or wrong on just give your opinion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.