E-85

terccraz05

Member +
I would like to start a thread dedicated to running E-85 on a 4efte. I would like this information to be sticky also that way someone can convert there ride over to ethanol. Can I get a mods respones before I post the info? I have my car running on full e-85 on 17 psi with the EMU.

terccraz05

Member +
Okay to start out here are a lsit of my mods. I dont know if you guys have a lot or any E-85 in the UK/Europe but if you can get your hands on let me tell you it's a hell of fuel.

I am running the following fuel system:

Sard 550cc Injectors
Sard FPR set at 40psi
Walbro 255 lph

Engine Modifications:

4efte Stock Motor (internals)
GT2560R
FMIC
Greddy Type RS BOV
WEPR Manifold

Engine Management:

Greddy Emanage Ultimate (Ver E)
Greddy Fuel Injector Adaptar Harness #2
Greddy 3 Bar Pressure Sensor
Innovate LC-16 Sensor W/XD-16 Gauge wired into EMU unit.

Okay so some information I know if you think some of this information is wrong don't hesitate to question me.

So E-85 is rated around 100-105 ocatne. It's also proven to burn cooler inside the motor and also allows you to advance a lot more timing under boost and also allows you to push more boost.

I was running (during the summer) 18psi boost and advance timing 5 degree under boost. The motor ran perfectly. However I wasn't able to make it to the dyno but do plan on giving a shot this next year.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
I would like to start a thread dedicated to running E-85 on a 4efte. I would like this information to be sticky also that way someone can convert there ride over to ethanol. Can I get a mods respones before I post the info? I have my car running on full e-85 on 17 psi with the EMU.

Well I don't have the power to make the info a "sticky" but I'm sure if the information is of a high quality then it could be moved to the Awesomely Helpful Info Section.

terccraz05

Member +
Well I don't have the power to make the info a "sticky" but I'm sure if the information is of a high quality then it could be moved to the Awesomely Helpful Info Section.

Okay just thought I would share the info with you guys. Thats fine if you guys want to move it to that section.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Okay just thought I would share the info with you guys. Thats fine if you guys want to move it to that section.

seems the e85 is not the best for mileage on a car also f**ks up rubber and injectors need to been changed as it messes them up too also fuel pump:(

ruggiero06

Member +
seems the e85 is not the best for mileage on a car also f**ks up rubber and injectors need to been changed as it messes them up too also fuel pump:(

those are all myths that have been dispelled.

rubber hoses now are more durable then they were in the 70s and 80s due to the teflon coating or other coating rubber hoses get now to make them more resistant to being dried out.

you need to change out injectors due to the fact you need to deliver 25-30% more fuel.

e85 is basically plug and play here. all you need is a lambda wideband and bigger injectors and to control fuel you can use something as simple as a APEXI SAFC. here in vegas the big fad is 600-800hp e85 evos. there are plenty of e85 dyno shops here.

your fuel pump is probably the most reliable thing in the fuel system. but if your running big power and are maxing out your fuel pump you may need a bigger one to deliver that extra fuel.

i recently asked these questions and it caused me to do about a hundred hours of research.

also e85 is 110 octane and burns cooler. it also has the benefit of burning slower. instead of one violent explosion like you get from gasoline you get a slower explosion all through the combustion stroke. it also keeps your valves and pistons alot cleaner then pump gas

these sites are awesome
http://www.e85performance.net/forums/
http://e85vehicles.com/e85/

Last edited:

terccraz05

Member +
those are all myths that have been dispelled.

rubber hoses now are more durable then they were in the 70s and 80s due to the teflon coating or other coating rubber hoses get now to make them more resistant to being dried out.

you need to change out injectors due to the fact you need to deliver 25-30% more fuel.

e85 is basically plug and play here. all you need is a lambda wideband and bigger injectors and to control fuel you can use something as simple as a APEXI SAFC. here in vegas the big fad is 600-800hp e85 evos. there are plenty of e85 dyno shops here.

your fuel pump is probably the most reliable thing in the fuel system. but if your running big power and are maxing out your fuel pump you may need a bigger one to deliver that extra fuel.

i recently asked these questions and it caused me to do about a hundred hours of research.

also e85 is 110 octane and burns cooler. it also has the benefit of burning slower. instead of one violent explosion like you get from gasoline you get a slower explosion all through the combustion stroke. it also keeps your valves and pistons alot cleaner then pump gas

these sites are awesome
http://www.e85performance.net/forums/
http://e85vehicles.com/e85/

I think I am the only Tercel in the states running full E-85 no problem. Only cold start up is a bitch. I have run 18 psi on stock internals and had no issues. The car runs great.

Starbus

Member +
We will have a 4efte running on E85 shortly. It will run over 300bhp on standard internals safely.
E85 is not corrosive, it has a PH level similar to that of water, its just not oil baised so doesn't have lubricating propperties like petrol does. It does dry out rubber and causes it to crack earlier. But if £100 in fuel line systems is going to put people off then modifying isn't for them.

terccraz05

Member +
We will have a 4efte running on E85 shortly. It will run over 300bhp on standard internals safely.
E85 is not corrosive, it has a PH level similar to that of water, its just not oil baised so doesn't have lubricating propperties like petrol does. It does dry out rubber and causes it to crack earlier. But if £100 in fuel line systems is going to put people off then modifying isn't for them.

Thats what I am trying to shoot for some numbers like that. I'll keep you posted how I do over here in the states. However I know for a fact your going to have to run bigger injectors than 550cc. At 19 PSI I started hitting 90% duty cycle so it looks like 750cc will be next year.

Starbus

Member +
Thats what I am trying to shoot for some numbers like that. I'll keep you posted how I do over here in the states. However I know for a fact your going to have to run bigger injectors than 550cc. At 19 PSI I started hitting 90% duty cycle so it looks like 750cc will be next year.

550cc should see you to 300hp.. What pump have you got?

terccraz05

Member +

Trust me you'll need bigger. I have walbro 255lph. I did some datalogs but didn't save them and I was hitting 18-19psi and was leaning out to 11.8-12.0 afr's w/duty cycle around 85-90%. Remember 4 cyclinder motors work harder to make the power and use a lot more fuel. It takes 30% Ethanol to equal the same energy output as Gasoline. 550cc injectors are good to get you over 300hp on Gas but not Ethanol.

ruggiero06

Member +
Trust me you'll need bigger. I have walbro 255lph. I did some datalogs but didn't save them and I was hitting 18-19psi and was leaning out to 11.8-12.0 afr's w/duty cycle around 85-90%. Remember 4 cyclinder motors work harder to make the power and use a lot more fuel. It takes 30% Ethanol to equal the same energy output as Gasoline. 550cc injectors are good to get you over 300hp on Gas but not Ethanol.

correct

A

Animal GT

not on 550cc's me man!! on e85 anyway! youl need alot bigger for over the 300bhp mark i know this cause iv just been through it all

Starbus

Member +
I'm fully aware of the BSFC of both fuels and 100% confident we'll make 300 with 550cc injectors. If it was 100% Ethanol we wouldn't. Maybe you need to use more timing to hit the power figures ;)

terccraz05

Member +
E-85 is 70% Ethanol mininum. You are going to run out of injector. 3 people that have already expiremented with this are telling you. Where not lieing.

terccraz05

Member +
Going to get emissions done on my Tercel on E-85 I will post my results. Has anyone else started using this fuel or is everyone still using pump gas?

GP82

Member +
We have a Supra running on AEM ems with a fuel system setup for E85 fuel. There need's to be more stations supplying E85 fuel as the closest one to us is like 30 miles away in Derby. We have a map setup on the AEM for this exotic fuel and when i looked at the fuel table, there was an increase in 30% approx. more fuel being injected throughout the rev range. It pulls over a 1000 horses @ 1.8 - 1.9 bar boost on HKS T51 KAI BB turbocharger with very aggressive ignition and with the V Power map (99 octane) it runs 750 horses approx. @ 1.8 bar boost with a very conservative ignition map. The injector size is 1200cc x 6 low imp and fuel pump setup is twin Denso pumps intank which run roughly 320 ltr/pm each. The fuel lines are E85 friendly (corossive proof) runnin' jic -8 x 2 fuel hoses and fittings.

Last edited:

billybob

Untrusted Seller
if i was to run e85 with 550 injectors what sort of power would i get before the injectors max out