It's actually

4 -4th Generation Engine
E - The Family ( E Family )
F - Economy narrow-angle DOHC
T - Turbocharged
E - Electronic Fuel injection

Mikey B

Lifer
note that the F means the angle of the valves, F means a more econemy style and G means that the head was desinged by yamaha for better power note sure on other codes tho

Last edited:

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Ah but the 4E-FTE engine head was designed by Yamaha, the G is a Wide angle head and the F is a narrow angled head it's more to do with the layout and the economical impacts, Performance gains

Last edited:

riko666

Member +
note that the F means the angle of the valves, F means a more econemy style and G means that the head was desinged by yamaha for better power (think the yamaha heads were 120 degres) note sure on other codes tho

Almost - most Toyota heads are designed by Yamaha, the F means it's an Economy head with a Narrow Angle DOHC head, typically the angle is 22.5degrees I think...the G Series heads are performance minded with a Wide angle head of around 60 degrees

Mikey B

Lifer
E is not a norrow angle head E is the series. i said that the F was the narrow angle part creating more ecomemy on the 4E-FTE engine

Last edited:

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
E is not a norrow angle head E is the series. i said that the F was the narrow angle part creating more ecomemy on the 4E-FTE engine

thats why i said about the yamaha ones being 120 degre

i dont think yamaha desinged the 4e head

Woops My bad ment to put down F not E.

Yamaha most certently did design the 4E head as riko said toyota and yamaha co-operated on alot of engines around that pieroid

Harvey

Member +
yamaha did quite a lot of work, particularly on the early 4age, then the 20v 4age (yamaha excelled in 5v bike engines) they also did the 3SGE.

I didnt know they did the 4E, learn something everyday :)

Dunno where the 120 degrees came from tho mike. Its not 120, i thought it was 45 ish, rikko might be right with 60 though.

Concept is there though, in the F for economy and G for performance.

Harvey

Member +
ah, according to wikipedia, the 4age was 50 degrees. Later 20v 4age were 37 degrees. I think the anfle will vary dependant on application.

Just basically F means narrow (economy) valve angle and G means wide (performance).