e manage timing advance

triple j

Member +
Would like to no what would be the max amount of timing to be advanced on a stock engine @ 1 bar td04, am going to give this a go soon on the road with det cans, also am i right in saying with the 4efte tps there is going to be no partial throttle tuning so all is tuned throughout the wot rev range.

AdamB

Member +
The max timing advance varies on each engine, you will just have to figure what is best for your engine setup and where you want peak power to be made.

other lads may correct me but from what i read the timin effects the afr. wouldnt mind mappin my emu myself just need a wideband and the software

Chris@CCM

Member +
Go to a tuner every engine is different I seen some even at 1 bar having lots of timing pulled and some don't , there's much more to it then u think and going by what ur saying about tps u need to read up a lot before doing any thing

triple j

Member +
Go to a tuner every engine is different I seen some even at 1 bar having lots of timing pulled and some don't , there's much more to it then u think and going by what ur saying about tps u need to read up a lot before doing any thing

I was waiting for u to pop in there chris, from what i no about the tps its only an on and off type 0 or 100% and not variable type, so i would imagine there will be no partial throttle settings made, correct me if am wrong, this is my first time messing with a piggyback and i love to learn more any help and info will be very well appreciated.

Last edited:

triple j

Member +
other lads may correct me but from what i read the timin effects the afr. wouldnt mind mappin my emu myself just need a wideband and the software
When am 100% clued in on the timing al start to tackle that side but for now al just sort out fuelling, its a learning curve.

and a rough figure of timing asin a number i think your after to go by not to hear every engine is different ;)

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
A good place to start is at 10 BTDC, base ignition timing.
Theres a hell of a lot more to it than how many degrees of ignition advance to what rpm's and what boost pressure.
You need to factor in air temp, air density, compression ratio, cylinder pressure, valve timing, quench area, exhaust gas temp, etc etc.

It takes a long time to map an engine correctly, it takes seconds to destroy one.

triple j

Member +
A good place to start is at 10 BTDC, base ignition timing.
Theres a hell of a lot more to it than how many degrees of ignition advance to what rpm's and what boost pressure.
You need to factor in air temp, air density, compression ratio, cylinder pressure, valve timing, quench area, exhaust gas temp, etc etc.

It takes a long time to map an engine correctly, it takes seconds to destroy one.
I think 10 BTDC is where it will stay to be honest with u

AdamB

Member +
The problem is you won't gain any power in altering the AFR, power is not made using fuel. It is made using cold air and ignition advance.
I would start off with 10 BTDC, increase slowly till you hear any knocking, and knock 2 degrees of for safety and leave it at that. Unless your looking to squeeze all the power out the engine theres no need to put so much stress on the internal components by running as much advance as possible.

This is a good video clip to show you what dett/knock sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJZ6kKzLus

AdamB

Member +
Im not too familier with the emanage but with a standalone unit you are able to change what references you want to use. Software I used gives ignition advance in degrees BTDC, fueling wise is mostly done in milliseconds of injector opening.
Its just like reading any normal graph/plot, some software is easier to use than others. I prefer Haltech and DTA, Link is also good. I would recommend downloading software and have a fiddle for yourself, its the best way to understand how and what is needed to program such system.

Just a quick google search gives this

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=mrTiUMDZNIaJ0AWG8YDYBQ

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
My understanding is that the Emanage cannot read the spark advance angle the stock ECU is using, it can only alter the angle with a plus or minus adjustment, this is one of the reasons that will always steer me away from piggyback ECU's.

Persoanlly I would knock the base timing back at the distributor from 10° to around 6 or maybe 5° and then add some advance using the Emanage. Doing it this way will still allow the stock ECU's knock correction/protection function to partly do the job it's designed to do.

Chris@CCM

Member +
The problem is you won't gain any power in altering the AFR, power is not made using fuel. It is made using cold air and ignition advance.
I would start off with 10 BTDC, increase slowly till you hear any knocking, and knock 2 degrees of for safety and leave it at that. Unless your looking to squeeze all the power out the engine theres no need to put so much stress on the internal components by running as much advance as possible.

This is a good video clip to show you what dett/knock sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJZ6kKzLus

Ur going to confuse the guy he's talking about the timing map on a emanage if I put 10 in all the cells on it bye bye pistons

Chris@CCM

Member +
I was waiting for u to pop in there chris, from what i no about the tps its only an on and off type 0 or 100% and not variable type, so i would imagine there will be no partial throttle settings made, correct me if am wrong, this is my first time messing with a piggyback and i love to learn more any help and info will be very well appreciated.

U use map as load not tps

triple j

Member +
The software looks easy to use and i would be confident with it, fuelling is easy to set up via aditional injection map but the timing is a different kettle of fish.