E-manage ultimate warm start issue.

GTmark

Member +
I recently brought Dan Brisco's high spec Starlet Gt turbo. I’m having some serious issues with possibly the E-manage ultimate setup its running. It don’t like to start at all from hot it cranks fine an goes to start but cuts straight away :( when its cooled down it will start fine 1st time. Sometimes its just cranks but don’t even attempt to fire. Its annoying me to the point where I have no trust in the car getting me back home when I’ve been out somewhere for a short period of time.

I have tried the following few things new plugs as it seems to flood when cranking and would fire on just two cylinders then run lumpy clear its self out then eventually run on all fours.(It don’t do this as much now) I used NGK BCR8ES copper core heat range 8 exactly what came out of the car. I have moved the E-Manage ultimate's jumper number 21 to open circuit this has made little or no difference. I have plugged emanage on to a laptop to see if I could adjust the hot and cold settings or at least compare them with my m8s car which is running a similar setup. The main setup bar down the left side shows water temp settings I’ve adjusted these a little bit, but not enough i hope to do the car any damage. I could not compare the settings with my m8s setup as his were turned off in the menu. I did turn them off briefly to see if it had any effect but had none. Any settings we have changed are now back as they were.

Has anybody else has issues like this and what’s best to try and cure the problem. I would happily take the car to a mapper to get it checked over and adjusted if necessary but I fear this may not cure this problem. If mapping didn’t cure the problem then in my eyes I would be throwing money away, As I’ve been told by various people that Dan got this car mapped at a very good place. Is it likely I’m over looking the problem, and could be something simpler like a coolant temp sensor?

Morph

Member +
Have you considered maybe a dripping injector or something mate? Might be worth contacting matt at AFR tuning as i know they tuned as dans a mate and that car is silly quick you got there mate.

whiteglanzav

Member +
i had a problem with the coolant sensor and it only affected start up from cold with the exact same symptoms as above ^^ :confused:

GTmark

Member +
I have not considered a dripping injector only as, I know for a fact that Dan was running 440cc injectors and had this problem an fitted the 550cc injectors he said the issue went away. But its still there with the 550cc's

Ive had this issue with the car form only owning it a few hours as i had trouble at the petrol station when i turned it off on the way back home from picking it up. Im not angry with Dan or the car in anyway and fully understand its just a teaving problem but i do need to get it sorted out.

Thanks for ur input an will will give AFR a call in the week :)

GTmark

Member +
Think i have a coolant temp sensor as a spare, so i will try get it swopped tomorrow an see if it makes a difference. :)

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Ahhhhhhhhh this is all too famiilar for me this area!

I had the exact same problem for 2 years when my EMU was installed. Chris told me my fuel pump was dying and we think that was the cause ... pissed me off big time.

There are some EMU's out there iirc that have 21 jumper settings, and number 21 is the cause of the warm starting issue ... Kon can shed more light on this.

Iain

Morph

Member +
No problem dude but it could be something simple like the coolant sensor as renaults suffer with the similar fault and just tend to not start at all.

GTmark

Member +
Thanks for ur input with the fuel pump, would it not start from cold properly aswell if the fuel pump was on the blinker? Only as its starts from cold fine an when its running runs sweet. Failing that, it is possible something else I maybe able to swop an see.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Thanks for ur input with the fuel pump, would it not start from cold properly aswell if the fuel pump was on the blinker? Only as its starts from cold fine an when its running runs sweet. Failing that, it is possible something else I maybe able to swop an see.

Sorry Mark, i dont think its your fuel pump at all. I was only speculating what my problem maybe with mine, but im uncertain until i replace it and have it mapped again.

Could be the EMU jumper settings in your EMU.

GTmark

Member +
Ok no worries, Its still handy to know though as i can swop an see if it helps. As this stage in time ill do whatever it takes to get it to be reliable and start from hot lol.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Ok no worries, Its still handy to know though as i can swop an see if it helps. As this stage in time ill do whatever it takes to get it to be reliable and start from hot lol.

It is terribly annoying especially going for fuel and leaving the car running with everyone staring at you lol! :haha:

GTmark

Member +
It is terribly annoying especially going for fuel and leaving the car running with everyone staring at you lol! :haha:

No word of a lie that's wot I have to do lol. I also worry someones gonna steal it if Im on me own. I try to take someone with me all the time now. It can be mega hassel. It is weird though as sometimes it will fire back up but that's rare.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
No word of a lie that's wot I have to do lol. I also worry someones gonna steal it if Im on me own. I try to take someone with me all the time now. It can be mega hassel. It is weird though as sometimes it will fire back up but that's rare.

Yep, i spoke to him about this. Its exactly the same symptoms as mine mate. Thats why i went for fuel at around 11pm and after so i could keep it running and go into the shop.

Seomtimes you get a good run of the car instantly firing back up and at times it just refuses time after time after time.

I tell you what did help me tho mate, on the EMU there are 4 DIPSWITCH's. My fuel map was associated for the first 2, i pulled them down to start the car and popped them back up. Normally it works 80-90% of the time!

GTmark

Member +
Yep, i spoke to him about this. Its exactly the same symptoms as mine mate. Thats why i went for fuel at around 11pm and after so i could keep it running and go into the shop.

Seomtimes you get a good run of the car instantly firing back up and at times it just refuses time after time after time.

I tell you what did help me tho mate, on the EMU there are 4 DIPSWITCH's. My fuel map was associated for the first 2, i pulled them down to start the car and popped them back up. Normally it works 80-90% of the time!

I know the switches you mean mate I have already tried flicking these didnt make any difference on mine.

I however just tried a different fuel pump the one in the car to start with was a walbro 255 I had a spare standard pump attached to the sender unit so I tried it. Fitted it before i left work then when i got home waited a few mins for it to cool down then turned it off it would not start still. I however still have the coolant temp sensor to try so i will fit that tomorrow.

What is strange five mins after it didnt start i tried it again and it started up. Just this minute tried it once more and it started fine again :confused: Maybe ill go for a drive later.

GTmark

Member +
Hi Chris yes it has fixed my issue sorry for the late reply. The car starts first time everytime when hot ive been using the car more now as i know i can trust it lol. Thank you very much for helping me with this issue u are a legend. :)