ECU advise?

Reeco

Member +
couple of questions, firstly can the original ECU get remapped? and are there any disadvantages to this? and secondly, as far as aftermarket ECU's go which would be the better/ most popular one to use?

srankin90

Member +
standard ecu cant be remapped. you need some sort of a piggyback ecu like emanage blue/ultimate or dastek. you could go with standalone ecu as well but it all depends how much you want to spend and what you want from the car

thefalls

Member +
As said above,what are your goals for the car?

And what mods do you have at present?

There are no limits to tuning/modding but you must have set a target,so knowing that can help people advise you on what ECU to go for.

Reeco

Member +
okay cheers guys, planning to go for 300bhp upwards, as im having the engine out of danes old car, not sure on what turbo im getting yet, friend of a friend is selling his quite cheap aparantly is a faster spooling equivalent of the td05, have yet to find out details though :/ would prefer a standalone ecu but how much would i be looking at? cheers again guys

AdamB

Member +
I'm a big fan of full standalone systems, but price varies muchly, anything from £1000-2000 brand new. Get a link for around the £1000 mark and the likes of motec etc at the higher end of the price range. Don't forget you will have to get it fitted and mapped.

Skalabala

Member +
I'm a big fan of full standalone systems, but price varies muchly, anything from £1000-2000 brand new. Get a link for around the £1000 mark and the likes of motec etc at the higher end of the price range. Don't forget you will have to get it fitted and mapped.

What he said :)

Reeco

Member +

cheers mate, going for a vf34 turbo now too so will defo need one :)

Reeco

Member +
All down to budget and who you want to map it.

yeah im not sure who im going to get to map it, dont know many places nearby, i know dyno dynamics is a driavble distance but i wouldnt wanna go too far with a car that isnt apped properly :/

GTwayne

Member +
yeah im not sure who im going to get to map it, dont know many places nearby, i know dyno dynamics is a driavble distance but i wouldnt wanna go too far with a car that isnt apped properly :/

That's going to be one of your big decisions, you don't to be taking the car to someone who as no experience with the ecu you decide on.

AdamB

Member +

I would recommend JD modified in Basingstoke if you don't mind travelling an hour and a bit. Not many places round these parts.