ECU's

thorpy

Member +
Where do i get one from, what do you reccomend, and where should i go to get it set up?

not had the starlet for very long so not overly sure on every mod on the car but ive been told it deffo needs an ecu and mapping cos theres a fueling problem and possibley a bit of detting, whatever it is its causing the head gasket to keep blowing

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Hey mate,

First of all list what mods you have already, what your budget is, what you want from the car, what it will be used for, where abouts your based, what boost your running, and who advised you on what you needed? A professional or a friend?

sorry for the questions but there are so many variables we need to know as much as possible ;)

T

razor

Member +
If the head gskt keeps blowing it may be hair line crack in the head or its slightly distorted, u really need to think how far u wanna take the power 2 with the car, alot of different options now so hard to advise :(

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Sorry I didn't even see the part about the h/gasket. If it's blowing then you need find out why. What gasket is it, oem or aftermarket? List all your mods and boost so we can try and establish a better understanding..

T

thorpy

Member +
im struggling on the mods to be perfectly honnest but its all standard internals, i think its got, bigger turbo td04, small front mount intercooler, sard blow off valve, bigger fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, competition leads, straight through exhaust, manifold, ignition controller, helix paddle clutch, apexi safcII, blitz boost controller, hks turbo timer, cant remember what else, ive not done any mods to it since ive bought it, apparantly its running around 210-240bhp but i want to get it on a rolling road to see if its true, its running about 6psi on low boost and about 15psi on high boost

im in sheffield i use the car everyday to get to work n back, id like to get it running a bit faster maybe but i wana make sure the engine is stable, the apexi is showing knocking readings, friends and pros have mentioned about detting and fueling problems

before i bought the car it just had a new head gasket fitted, he fitted it himself though and was supposed to be getting it mapped before he sold it and my friend at the garage thats fitting my new one isnt convinced that he got it set up properly n he said that there might not even be a problem causing it he might have just used the old bolts or something stupid instead of fitting new stretch bolts? but apparantly it had blown a gap between the 1st n 2nd pistons/plugs and thats why the compression was really down

bet non of that makes sense but im thick soz hehe need as much help as i can get :p

Last edited:

starbogt

Member +
I'd get a compression test if unsure about the head gasket. Go to a good rolling road and see what they say about how its running. The safc may be giving false knock.. Goldenvtr was only saying yesterday he was getting knock readings on his at idle??? If you need any help there's a few of us in the area.

Andrew

thorpy

Member +
im sure jay will check the compression again once hes fitted the new head gasket, another 1of of my friends called lanxter with a white EP82 hes on here not sure wot his username is but he was talkin 2a few of ya about my car n they came to the conclusion that it could be a cooling problem aswell? which would make sense in a way because its got a poxy little radiator set over to the right hand side of the engine so obviously the left hand side isnt getting cooled down much and thats where the problem was on the left hand side

i sometimes get knock readings on idle aswell but only after ive been driving for a while and it usually sits around 8ish but gradually gets higher the longer im sat, it just goes abit daft when i go into the high revs

thorpy

Member +
kewl ill av 2get out and meet a few of you soon you can have a nosey then cos i dont know shit yet im still learning

im hopeing it will be back on the road end of next week im just waiting for the head gasket set to get here