EM Light after fitting new clutch!?! Help Please!

HK GT Turbo

Member +
Hi pocket rocket owners...

I have purchased a GT Turbo 1993 131km miles for £400, needed a service and a new clutch! I've had this all done yesterday by me and a friend. The clutch was nothing special just some Nationwide one (i've never heard of them). Everything was put back together and car was running sweet. New clutch made a huge improvement but after an hour the EM light popped up!

If u turn the car off and restart it the lights off until u rev it over 2500rpms then the light comes on! Has anyone got any reason for this? I've check all the leads are connected and tried disconnecting the battery too but still light pops on once the car revs over 2500rmps! It's driving me nuts, cuz the car drives fine for an hour still that light came on.

On the extra note the car also smokes a lil on rev, some white smoke but it does dissappear once car warms up.

Any help would be apprieciated!

Thanks

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
the white smoke could be turbo on the way out or seals on the exhaust etc.. bring it to a mechanic...does it have a lot of smoke when you rev it high when idiling?is there much residue coming out of the dumpvalve?

the engine light could be fuel or boost cut ..what are you boosting?

HK GT Turbo

Member +
the white smoke could be turbo on the way out or seals on the exhaust etc.. bring it to a mechanic...does it have a lot of smoke when you rev it high when idiling?is there much residue coming out of the dumpvalve?

the engine light could be fuel or boost cut ..what are you boosting?

The smoke only comes on once just rev, on higher revs no smoke! Only happens if car has been left on for a while, my mate said it could be turbo too, but does the EM light come on cuz of that?

HK GT Turbo

Member +
not that i know of...what are you boosting to?

Err... the car is standard so i think standard would be 0.8! Only mod is some cheap carbon lookalike induction kit!

Car was only ment to be a runner around, but after whooping a few ppl in the car decided to keep it! Just that light does my nut in! lol

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
sounds like boost creep leading to fuel cut...do you have the stock air box? if so put it back in...if that doesn't work try replacing your leads and plugs

HK GT Turbo

Member +
sounds like boost creep leading to fuel cut...do you have the stock air box? if so put it back in...if that doesn't work try replacing your leads and plugs

Ive tried different plugs, which i thought could have been why it started 1st, but i've put the ones that were in there originally now! I'll see if i can change the leads tmr and give that ago!

Do u know if the EM light will go off by itself once the problem has been solved? or will u have to get it reset?

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
check your fuses in the car and underneath the bonnet and then check that you didnt accidently pull out one of your ecu plugs (unlikley but its worth a try)
after that im baffeled

HK GT Turbo

Member +
check your fuses in the car and underneath the bonnet and then check that you didnt accidently pull out one of your ecu plugs (unlikley but its worth a try)
after that im baffeled

Thanks for ur help 180kph, i'll give that a check tmr and see what happens! Or hopefully it will be a good car and the light just stay off! lol

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
no probs...if you can't sort it yourself get a mechanic to look at it ...and a performance mechanic if you can..good luck

HK GT Turbo

Member +
do a diagnostics check, that could narrow it down alot.

Thanks Timmy, i've had it plugged into a computer today and it came up with one fault, Code 52 - Knocking Sensor Abnormal!?!

The machanic goes that he's not too sure where it is located without putting it in the air but also said it might be in the desi cap.

I called my machanic that did the service and clutch and he goes lambda sensor but he's a bit of a whack machanic when it comes to ecu problems.

Does anyone know where the Knock Sensor is on an EP82 car?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
it shouldnt be fuel cut at 2500? unless its majorly creeping i only ever got it around 6000 but who knows, best thing to do will be take it to a mechanic with a diagnostic machine and get them to check the fault codes.

you could of left something loose when changing the clutch

HK GT Turbo

Member +
it shouldnt be fuel cut at 2500? unless its majorly creeping i only ever got it around 6000 but who knows, best thing to do will be take it to a mechanic with a diagnostic machine and get them to check the fault codes.

you could of left something loose when changing the clutch

I gave the car a thrashing on the way to work this morning and the car was juddering when hitting 6000rpms which i'm guessing is the fuel cut cuz of the light being on. I've just left the battery off to see if it will reset, still looking for the knock sensor tho!

HK GT Turbo

Member +
My mate tells me that my machanic is right and the knock sensor is actually part of the lambder sensor which is by the down pipe?

Can anyone tell me if that is right?

starbogt

Member +
as DAC69er says its around back of engine the knock sensor wouldn't be in the exhaust as it is to determine engine knock from the block ! may be faulty but have you checked for any type of boost controller ie actuator or mbc it may be set too high or have a leak in 1 of the pipes causing too much boost. also check to see next to the clutch pedal if anything has been wired in around the ECU such as an FCD it may have had 1 previously!it may be worth getting the timing checked also if its not reving cleanly to redline!. Good look mate.

P.s £400 quid is a bargain:D

HK GT Turbo

Member +
Thanks u all for your help, i have just fixed the problem!! The plug has snapped but it can still be connected and light hasn't come on now!

I couldn't have done it without all ur help!!

Thanks! =)