EMB and detting problem!! Help

Gav_Kara

Member +
I have a tdo4 set up running emanage blue and all usual upgrades such as 460cc injectors and stuff. The car was running 12psi and 220 bhp which was all good but engine threw a rod so new engine fitted and all base timing and idle all set as normal. So checked car on road running 97 fuel anyway on 4th gear pulls it's detting like crazy at 4200rpm was all checked with det cans and wideband. Had to knock ignition timing back 2degrees and drop boost to 8psi but now car feels flat and want to know if anyone else as come over this and what I can do without having to buy a power fc

any help rep will be given thanks

Ben89

Lifer
Maybe check fuel pump isn't falling, and all other things like injectors and fuel pressure regulator.
I also remember reading somewhere that the emanage blue struggles to control large injectors may be worth speaking to one of the experienced tuners on here like Chris at ccm or con.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
sorry to get a bit off topic.. why the hell would you use injectors that large for 12psi on td04!

Gav_Kara

Member +
The fuel pumps a welbro255 but stock fuel reg. The ijectors are rx7 n/a ones but fueling was running low 12s so all good. I see people running good power on Emb but how do they get round the detting issue??

Ben89

Lifer
I'm no tuner but running 12s on a standard engine is a touch lean isn't it? I can't really see another reason for the det other than your timing being way advanced, what's the comp ratio on the car?

Gav_Kara

Member +
I'm no tuner but running 12s on a standard engine is a touch lean isn't it? I can't really see another reason for the det other than your timing being way advanced, what's the comp ratio on the car?

Low 12s is rich mate mate not lean. Ignition timing was all set at 800rpm and ten degrees but had to knock it back 2 due to the detting

Ben89

Lifer
Fair enough mate, I had mine set up at 11.5 at wot, at 3 bar fuel pressure. Might be worth getting a fuel pressure reg and cranking the pressure up a bit and trying again with the wideband and cans.

Gav_Kara

Member +
Yes cheers buddy might try that and run 3bar fuel pressure. It's just any det is to much det if I'd of just checked fueling I'd of been it's ok but using det cans proved it want safe be good to know if other people us cans or just do afr?

Ben89

Lifer
Yes cheers buddy might try that and run 3bar fuel pressure. It's just any det is to much det if I'd of just checked fueling I'd of been it's ok but using det cans proved it want safe be good to know if other people us cans or just do afr?

My tuner used det cans when it was set up mate.

Rob H

Member +
Maybe check fuel pump isn't falling, and all other things like injectors and fuel pressure regulator.
I also remember reading somewhere that the emanage blue struggles to control large injectors may be worth speaking to one of the experienced tuners on here like Chris at ccm or con.

The emb is quite capable of running much bigger injectors than the ones he is using they can run 550cc injectors no problem. I would not be using my car with out getting a remap either as any changes can make all the differance to the map the slightest change can make all the differance!

Last edited:

Gav_Kara

Member +
Wasn't much need for a remap as all that was canged was a stock motor fir another stock motor everything was changed over mate so was no detting before and fueling was good so expected to be the same but fueling was ok but had detting issues at 4k plus in 4th gear pulls

Rob H

Member +
are all the compression ratios exactly the same then?? is the timing set exactly the same?? just because it was a stright swap that dont mean anything there is some much that can make a differance! you ask any mapper there opinion they will tell you the same when you are running some thing that tuning is so critical the slightist thing will make all the differance!

Chris@CCM

Member +
Ok do u have them emb wired up so u can ajust the timing ? Who is ur tuner ? 12s is lean for a stock motor , the way emb trims fuel is crap and it makes the stock ecu run more timing so having to trim a good bit of timing off at high loads would be the norm I don't think u have a problem it's just needs tuned rite and has never been from the start, also what heat range of plugs r u using

Last edited:

Gav_Kara

Member +
Emb was already wired in when I bought the car and had just been mapped by tdi. It's the detting issues I don't understand and just want the boost and power back up to what it was and stuff. The emb are just piggyback fuel computers. I know the advantage would to go PFC but it's big money and people on here running more power and boost than I was on emb but was detting a issue? I'm running iridium ngk heat range 7 plugs. I can post engine spec up if it would help

Chris@CCM

Member +
U don't need a PFC there not even that good any ways , did tdi tune it the first time ? It sounds like it just needs tuned or u have a injectors not flowing rote on 1 cal but u could see this by looking at ur plugs

Gav_Kara

Member +
U don't need a PFC there not even that good any ways , did tdi tune it the first time ? It sounds like it just needs tuned or u have a injectors not flowing rote on 1 cal but u could see this by looking at ur plugs

The tuner said emb is shit and need to buy PFC I'll check plug colours and re gap um too. Yes tdi mapped it first but don't know if det cans where used and if they set base timing ect and to what cos when I first got it it idled at 1250rpm ect but had no det but now ignition is set correct and idle too it's now got det. I'm running 460cc injectors which was flowed and cleaned a few month ago. It's running stock fuel reg and a welbro 255 pump

Chris@CCM

Member +
Sounds like tdi r being lazy Cunts the problem is not ur ecu engine or any thing like that it's the tune mabby they don't know emb too well And pfcs are nothing to write home about