skimmed, new head gasket (made by BGA), head

bolts,thermostat, water pump, etc. Unfortunately I forgot

to mark the dizzy cap position.

Soon after, the head gasket went again (this time between

cylinders 1 & 2), and was told by a professional that

this was due to the timing being out and running 95

octane (was only working part time and was the only way I

could afford to run the car).

So I fixed it again, head reskimmed, set the timing to 10degrees on 99octane fuel and kept using 99octane.

Now, the head gasket has gone again between cyl 1 & 2 exactly the same way and I can't figure out why. I've checked the block with feeler blades and a metal ruler on its side and it doesnt seem to have any gaps but it's hard to tell without a proper straightedge

Any ideas? Cheers

glanza4ever

Member +
you should check the head if it has a crack somewhere , the guy that skimmed the head should have the tool to check the head for cracks!!!
good luck...

dac69er

Super Moderator
chances are the block is warped. the maximum warpage is only 0.05mm.

i checked my engine and it was just within tolerance. bearing in mind the headgasket on my car was fine.
the head on this engine was flat.

sdutton007

Member +
Cheers, block could well be warped but the head is definately not cracked.

I think i'm going to get rid of the head - i've had it skimmed twice, and have no idea if it has been skimmed before I got it. Chances are its raised the compression ratio quite a bit, and may not be non-interference anymore.

Might get rid of the block as well - if it needs skimming then it's gotta come out of the car so I might as well put a mint block and head in. Thinking of a forged 5efte. I've been planning it for a while and if i've got to build an engine up again I might as well build something powerful lol

corofin12345

Member +
i cant stress enough to people if they are going looking at an engine to try and get one thats still in the car so you can do a compression test.. rattling bottom ends and compression readings are the 2 main things to look out for while buying these engines

ep82_advance

Member +
i was having the same problem mate and mine was blowing between cylinder 2&3.. i blew 2 head gaskets... it was obvious that the normal head gasket was crap and couldnt handle the boost levels..

what head gasket are you using? if its from a local part shop or anything they are crap because even do you tell them the car is a turbo (4efte) they always send you the head gasket for 4efe...

im a mechanic my self so thats the good side of it labour was free..

its got nothing to with the timing being out or anything... people were telling me my block was warped and i had a crack in the head... i went to tm developments and bought athena mls 1.2mm head gasket with new head bolts from Dave @ tm developments and ive been runing the car since on 1.0 bar of boost and have had no problems...

let me know how you get on mate... if you need any engine parts i have a spare glanza v lump in the garage with piston rings cracked...

Good luck with it chap!

ramses974

Member +
well
you can have a sort of compilation of problems prehaps

-the first skim has certainly produced an evidence of raising compression and perhaps before blewing HG you were running with high timing.
High compression give detonation and can destroy HG
-after second skim of your HG, your CR is too high and destroy again the HG
-when you skim your Head be careful to get an apropriate HG to maintain the same Cr.
-Now many problem can appear and can be a result of your first set up...
1/block warped
2/Head gasket has a crack and this crak only appear when your engine is hot ...
3/i have tested a lot of HG ...4efe or 4efte are the same HG ,i have tested a lot of aftermarket HG and all seems good.I am running 1.4 on a 4e with a td04 Hybrid.Certainly some bad HG exist i have seen some that cannot hold boost but you can find a lot of aftermarket that can hold boost easily
4/you have the solution to get a big HG to prevent detonation and stay with the oem CR if nothing is warped or cracked.
5/be aware of the psi you use to block your head bolt ...this is very important to maintain reliability.
you want to test something sure:
the company wich skims your Hg can do a test to verify if your head is cracked or not but i do not know the price of the test...In my island it is too high and we prefer sometimes to buy a second hand Head...