engine fault :( only when cold

woff

Member +
as above, misfires realy bad when cold but when needle reaches cold mark on water temp its ok and drives fine, ive replaced dizzy and leads and coolant temp sensor so now its time for compression check and leak off. what do ya think, nething else i could check? just replaced headgasket btw :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
did you pipe back the thermostatic idle control valve that under the trottle body correctly?

the problem does sound very coolant temp sensor related, but you said you changed it. did you swap for a second hand one or brand new?

woff

Member +
Thats the steel tube behind the inlet manifold which is conected to the icv aint it?? and it was a 2nd hand one pal. chris

woff

Member +
ahh rite, i never disconected any of that piping just moved it all out of the way. i cant, but they cnt be that expensive so il buy one and give it a bash :) Topman for that. repped :D

dac69er

Super Moderator
ahh rite, i never disconected any of that piping just moved it all out of the way. i cant, but they cnt be that expensive so il buy one and give it a bash :) Topman for that. repped :D

they arent horrendously expensive. it does sound like it could be the problem. the cable or connector isnt damaged at all is it? might be worth double checking everything before buying one just to make sure.

woff

Member +
connectors ok, even put my own wiring in to make sure it wasnt the connector. strange how it just goes when its warm lol few of the lads at work have said it mite be that one of the shims mite be to big and slightly holding a valve open eoungh untill its warm and expands. i dont realy know how believable that is but im going to check the compression anyway to make sure its all dandy :D thankyou. chris

dac69er

Super Moderator
connectors ok, even put my own wiring in to make sure it wasnt the connector. strange how it just goes when its warm lol few of the lads at work have said it mite be that one of the shims mite be to big and slightly holding a valve open eoungh untill its warm and expands. i dont realy know how believable that is but im going to check the compression anyway to make sure its all dandy :D thankyou. chris

that sounds like bull to me mate. i would check compression and whatever else you can first then try another sensor if you cant find anything else obvious.