Engine/gearbox mount gone?

Gee

Member +
Hi guys,

Might be paranoid here, but noticed a few things.

1. When I turn the car over in neutral, I'm sure the car is moving ever so slightly. Never noticed this before

2. When I let off the accelerator and bang the accelerator back on, I hear a loud knocking sound.

Only thing throwing me off at the moment is that:

1. Is possibly could be my exhaust banging

2. When I do that test in 5th gear, letting off the clutch and letting the car judder, I don't hear any bangs, so seems like the engine is holding up?

All garages are closed today, any other ways I can try and determine if and of the mounts or buggered or loose?

Thanks

Sean_GT

Member +
Mine does the same thing.

Since i have bought it

When i make the car jult by either taking the foot off the pedal quick or pushing the pedal down quick i can hear a knock comming from the front of the car around the passenger side

Is this the same as yours?

Gee

Member +
Yes, sounds the same.

Only starting happening today thou.

Thing is..my exhaust has been giving me trouble and I bodged a fix which raised it close to the petrol tank heat guard. I am hoping it is just this, but sounds more like maybe a gearbox mount or something?

Phil

Super Moderator
em, your recent changes are most likely the cause i dont know why but it stands to reason. so double check anything you've changed or taken off put back on recently.

i suffered a hefty knock when my lower arm bar was slightly loose and i mean slighty lol so check those two bolts also.

Phil

Sean_GT

Member +
Well providing the weather is ok next weekend i will take a look at mine and find out the problem.

So if you have not sorted yours by then i will let you know what my problem was

Gee

Member +
OK Sean thanks.

Phil,

Nothing has been changed recently.

Glanza Dan,

Yes they have. I run TRD engine mounts.

Mike D EP82

Member +
i had this until i changes my cv joint. also i had the shafts out the car to do the gearbox? could also be a worn bottom arm bush causind the arm to knock off the mounting points? you did say the car pulls or something?

Gee

Member +
Car does not pull or anything, but shafts were out a few months back to fit a gearbox with LSD.

So yours was the actual CV!?

Fuck sakes..

Adam_Glanza

Member +
i have heard of cv joint making this noise before, it used to do it on my car also.

never really got to the bottom of it tho i dont think.

either that or it could be warn lower arm bushes as stated, prob best to check both

TurboDave

Member +
Mine does it aswell, i thought it was engine mounts so 1 set of TRD mounts later and one of the polyurathane rear gearbox mounts and it still does it.

It doesnt really effect anything apart from the stupid noise and its mega hard to find out where it is coming from but I am going to find it!!!

TurboDave

Member +
Dont have lsd and I have already checked the lower arm tightness and bushes with no luck! Ive also changed the coilover, tein top mount and put a new bottom ball joint on!

I am not going to rest until I find it though! Im starting to think that it is a driveshaft noise but its only when I leave off the throttle.

:)

Gee

Member +
Mine only started doing it today and the LSD has been in a good few months.

Mine is only when I leave of the throttle or go quick on the throttle!

I'm gonna buy a Honda!

Gee

Member +
This must be gearbox mount.

Car vibrates now when reved and I can see the gearbox actually moving when I rev it. I guess the mount has totally gone or was not tightened up correctly when my LSD box was put in?

ok...here's my experience
this used to happen in my former gt....then i checked the mounts and the gearbox mount was gone as well as the others were on their way out........so i changed them...noise gone

when i got my glanza...i had the same issue agian...AFTER changing all my engine mounts....so we checked them all and torqued down ALL the engine mount bolts properly....noise gone

PS- sometimes mechanics install the gearbox mount the wrong way, which puts excessive strain on the other mounts-----if u look closely at the gearbox mount (in your hand), u will realise what i'm saying, as the centre bolt is slightly skewed to one side----well in a few i have seen:)
http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/TRD-Engine-Mount-Set-EP82-EP91-4E-FTE-16643#

if u skim through those pics u may be able to see what i'm talking about

Gee

Member +
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Well the noise I think is from the box hitting the exhaust system when moving..maybe it has dropped a few inches too?

Either way the box mount must be dead. I see the pictures Gorgan, but how exactly should the mount be fitted? I can let the garage know tomorrow.

Thanks.