Engine in and running :) ... slight teething problems with idle - help appreciated

gregep82

Member +
Got my engine in and running at last. Ive got a 1995 GT and the engine is out of a mk1. Would anything at all be different?

All is well, smokes on idle at the moment but that was expected as oil shot through the exhaust because of the last engine. Mostly cleared up already though.

Only problem is that 50% of the time I get a dodgy idle. It sometimes idles at 2000, or it revs itself up and down from about 1500 to 2000 revs constantly but smoothly when the clutch is dipped. Never cuts out though.

Sometimes though it idles really nice at just over 1000 revs.

I've checked all the earths and they're on nice and tight.

Could this be the ECU slightly adjusting? or idle control valve? any suggestions?

Its running standard management as there are minimal engine modifications - air filter, cat back exhaust.

Thanks,
Greg

gregep82

Member +
I was thinking the same, can't be too much, easily driveable with it, just a little annoying when it hunts at lights, sounds like im a 'boy-racer' ready to blast off wheel spinning.

corofin12345

Member +
I was thinking the same, can't be too much, easily driveable with it, just a little annoying when it hunts at lights, sounds like im a 'boy-racer' ready to blast off wheel spinning.

haha.. have you seen all the threads up today with the same problem as you... whats goin on :confused:

gregep82

Member +
I haven't looked to be honest, should have probably had a look before I posted :p

Maybe pipes are getting brittle and all breaking this winter :confused:

Everybodys cars are going mad at the moment.

corofin12345

Member +
I haven't looked to be honest, should have probably had a look before I posted :p

Maybe pipes are getting brittle and all breaking this winter :confused:

Everybodys cars are going mad at the moment.

definatly ya... mad.. maybe you could try a diagnostic test?

corofin12345

Member +
Yep the PCV's connected and all breathers are connected, I'm going to check for any splits tommorow and re-check everything again.

do mate and let us kno... if problem continues try a diagnostic..

diagnostics.jpg

corofin12345

Member +
got it from this site mate just incase anyone thinks im robbing it but i just cant link threads for some annoying reason.. cheers