engine oil 'stop leak'

dark_knight

Member +
can anyone say anything on this..? i have spotted a minor leak on the belt-side of my engine and after two attemps at re-sealing/re-seating the oil pan, it's still leaking, which leads me to think it's the crank seal on that end. would using one of these 'oil leak stop' products (like the one by wynn's) be of any help..? what are the down-sides..? i know most will tell me go in there and fix the bugger but don't have the time or resource for that now, as i want to do a one-stop job changing all things that need replacement once i 'go in' there..

kemnaychris

Member +
Hi mate I had same issue My mate marc sorted it he sealed the sump which was leaking but still oil about after but it ended up being where dip stick goes was leaking hopefully this might help ya :)

Reeco

Member +
i used it in my old engine before it died ( died after a good few oil changes after i put that stuff in so was unrelated) i had the same problem, stopped the leak for about a week or two, and at the time i was only driving the car once or twice a week max, and then it started leaking again, realy isnt worth using,would honestly just change it when you get the time mate, and until then just keep an eye on your oil levels and keep topping it up. i wouldnt want to put to many oil additives into anything with a turbo anyway. hope that helps mate :)

weeJohn

Lifer
That seal is easy to change on its own, the only other thing you would want to change while in there is the timing belt.

dark_knight

Member +
ok on the seals to check/change, but my curiosity was aroused by wanting to know how the 'stop leak' works.. by thickening the oil or altering the seals somehow..? so.. which is it..?

dac69er

Super Moderator
generally it just contains a chemical that expands the seal a bit by making it swell. petroleum does this, but they probably use something else nowadays?

dark_knight

Member +
thanks dac69er, i guess i'll have another look down there to check if it's the dipstick seal. i really hope it is the one. i am in no position for a major engine fix atm so trying just to ensure that nothing is getting too injured with the slight leak..

dark_knight

Member +
i know Gtjond.. but as i said originally, not up to the task of splitting apart the engine just yet so will leave it since it's not life-threatening.. :)

Texx

Super Moderator
If the oil leak isn't contaminating the timing belt, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on the level.

dark_knight

Member +
thanks Texx. good advice there. will check on the belt to see but i doubt it as i have a gut feeling that it's the crank seal and so it pours its' guts under & away from the belt. it's not drinking enough oil to worry about. ever since my last service more than 15 hundred miles ago, level has not gone down much -- maybe a millimeter.. so i'm glad on that at least..