Engine problem :s

96v

Member +
the other day i was out driving my starlet, and all of a sudden the car started to judder when my foot went on the accelerator and i eventually lost power, when i came to a stop the engine seemed to be ticking over ok put as soon as i put any pressure on the pedal the engine just dies! i called the RAC out and they said it could be the rotor arm/dizzy cap, so i bought a new one and the problem is still there. the car also seems to start when it is cold but as soon as it gets warm and i try to start it again it will not go, there is also a strong smell of petrol!!! any ideas as to what the problem could be???

turboloon

Member +
check for burst/fucked fuel lines,fuel filter etc...your smell of petrol would suggest something like that..have you noticed the fuel consumption getting worse..?

96v

Member +
not clanging as such, thers a slight churping kinda noise thats been there since i put my hybrid on but the car boosted fine until the other day when it just died!! strange how it starts wen the engine is cold but when its a little warm it doesnt have any of it

96v

Member +
yeah, the fuel usage has got a bit worse but the smell of petrol is inside the car :s

turboloon

Member +
check yer hoses from yer fuel pump all the way to the front/engine bay(lift yer back seat as yer fuel pump is located under there)i think you may have a bust line or maybe even a leak in yer petrol tank...

96v

Member +
hmmmmm, how the hell do i check the pipes??? surely if i had a leak it wouldnt start when the engine is cold as it uses more fuel when its on choke!! lol, im thinking a trip to toyota to spend lots of pennies as im not so confident with things like this :(

turboloon

Member +
get on yer back lie under the car with a torch and look for any signs of wetness....look round your fuel tank also for signs of dampness.....ye don't need to go to a toyota garage as they'll just 'pull the pants right over yer head' in garage charges..go to a reputable local garage bud they'll be able to suss it out for ye bud..

96v

Member +
lol, ive been to 'reputable' garages before mate and the work that has been done has never been ok so ive ended up having to pay more than what i would have done had i taken it to toyota in the first place!! i shall have a look at the fuel lines and if thats all ok, it has to be something else!! i will report back :)

fes-306

Fresh Recruit
my starlet had similiar problems all of a sudden and it turned out to be a dodgy spark plug replaced it with a new set and been fine since!

affy

Lifer
do the basic checks mate, plugs, pipes, vaccum hoses etc

try a diagnostics test, maybe it may show up if its relating to sparking side, i.e dizzy, igniter, ecu etc.... could be anything, wont take you a minute to do, before you go toyota do this, as they wil probz do this and charge you somthing very daft lol

hope you find the problem :)

96v

Member +
if it was a dodgy plug, would this have different effects when the engine is cold/warm??
the car starts fine when its cold but as soon as i turn it off then try it again when its warmed up it doesnt have any of it :confused:
could this be a cause of a dodgy plug????????????????

sam_glanz

Member +
if it was a dodgy plug, would this have different effects when the engine is cold/warm??
the car starts fine when its cold but as soon as i turn it off then try it again when its warmed up it doesnt have any of it :confused:
could this be a cause of a dodgy plug????????????????

, when you first start her the plugs are dry and will ignite the fuel, Once driving the plugs will black causing no ignition to the fuel (also causing the smell of fuel where its not burning), hence no responce? just try changing the plugs mate and go from there

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well if it starts when cold but then doesnt or suffers when hot then the problem may be within ur choke system, ie mainly the water temperature sensor (big grey sensor under the middle of the dizzy).. otherwise as suggested above have a look at the usual culprits :)

kon

Sagittarius

Member +
My experience in this is it can be your tps or the vacuum line to your charcoal canister.
Best thing is tu onplug the plug on your tps and try again. If the engine does not die when you apply the throttle then your TPS is misaligned.
If the problem is still there I would check the small vacuum line to your charcoal canister. I've seen a few times that the cavuum line came off and the engine behaved the same as in your description.

96v

Member +
My experience in this is it can be your tps or the vacuum line to your charcoal canister.
Best thing is tu onplug the plug on your tps and try again. If the engine does not die when you apply the throttle then your TPS is misaligned.
If the problem is still there I would check the small vacuum line to your charcoal canister. I've seen a few times that the cavuum line came off and the engine behaved the same as in your description.

ummmm as you and everyone have probably gathered im not all that clue up on these things, what exactly and where am i going to find the tps and the charcoal canister??? :mad::mad: iv been off the road for over a week now boooooooooooooooooo :(

Spoonz

Member +
alright mate do u want me to come take a look see if i can see wat the problem is your from kingswood aint u?

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
my friend got this problem he has compression lower than 3 psi on 2 pistons will be opening it up on friday and update but do a compression test mate i tryed dizzy from my car and all bits including new plugs theres petrol going there but no compression on 2 plugs i hope urz aint the same problem