Engine Swap - revving problem and smoke? overfuelling too

gregep82

Member +
Car: 1995 EP82 quadlight

Engine in now: J reg MK1 Ep82 engine

I bought my car and two weeks later the engine went, blah blah blah, had a thread up before about that....

Put a new engine in, which was from a MK1 Ep82 and have had revving problems since. it revs between 1600 and 2000 most of the time, with quite a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust but settles at just over 1000 revs after giving it a quick hard run. It'll then randomly start the dodgy revving again.

It also seems to be overfuelling.

I've checked for leaks on the hoses etc and it hasnt got any.

I've took it to a garage near me for mot work to be done, they've done the other work and advised that this sounds like a knackered maf sensor.

Are the maf sensors different between the two engines?

OR are any other parts different? it pulls fine etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Glanza Gaz

Member +
I may be wrong and someone please correct me if I am. But cant you adjust the idle speed by turning the adjuster on the throttle body.
Also a vacuum leak would cause a high idle as well

Last edited:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
we dont have a maf (mass air flow) sensor o nthe 4efte.. what we have is a MAP sensor ie (manifold absolute pressure) sensor.. which is located at the back of the plenum, its a little black box with an orange sticker on it.. it also has a vacum line going into it.

check if the vacum line is plugged in correctly, to both the sensor & into the port in the plenum.. other things to check are your tps (throttle position sensor) check if its connected & get it calibrated.. other than that the only other problems could be from either your lambda or water temp sensor..

was ur old engine an mkI as well? if it was not there are some sensors which are different, mainly the map sensor, air intake temp sensor & you water temp sensors.. get them switched over to your old ones.. also iirc the ecu is different as well..

kon

gregep82

Member +
we dont have a maf (mass air flow) sensor o nthe 4efte.. what we have is a MAP sensor ie (manifold absolute pressure) sensor.. which is located at the back of the plenum, its a little black box with an orange sticker on it.. it also has a vacum line going into it.

check if the vacum line is plugged in correctly, to both the sensor & into the port in the plenum.. other things to check are your tps (throttle position sensor) check if its connected & get it calibrated.. other than that the only other problems could be from either your lambda or water temp sensor..

was ur old engine an mkI as well? if it was not there are some sensors which are different, mainly the map sensor, air intake temp sensor & you water temp sensors.. get them switched over to your old ones.. also iirc the ecu is different as well..

kon

Nope, the old engine was the original one, so by the sounds of it, all the sensors are going to have to be changed :(

Wish i'd found out more about this before I did the change.

Can anybody else verify this, especially with the ECU?

Cheers for the help