Engine went BANG

GlanzaMarvin

Member +
Hi guys,

So as some of you might know, I've sold on my Glanza.

We made an appointment for this friday where I would meet him at the half way point, as he's from Germany (it's not his fault). So we meet, and the young dude arrives a bit later, in tow a Toyota mechanic. Both inspect the car, and he proceeds to take off in it, revving it cold to the redline in 1st and 2nd as my mate and I watch him speed off.

An hour and a half later he calls me, stating that the engine had blown.

When I brought the car to the meeting point, some 50km from my home, it ran smoothly and without a hint of a problem... now he says he lost all power and the engine went pop and that's that.

When he and the mechanic took it apart, they found that my local Toyota dealer put some sort of mineral oil in during the last service - not the synthetic one they should've.

Could this have somehow contributed, along with the cold rev-arse-ing it ?

What are the most common reasons an engine, which has been well maintained and serviced and cared for, can just blow up and die ?

Thanks for your opinions.

AdamB

Member +
Do you know what has exactly happened to the engine? The wrong grade of oil can cause problems, and in your defence no matter what oil you use, you don't thrash the nuts of a turbocharged car until it's upto temperature anyway.

turboloon

Member +
as both iain and cheshire glanza both said....you have no idea what the hell they had done to the car if the huys mate was such a good mechanic he should've picked up anything out of the ordinary you would've thought...

GlanzaMarvin

Member +
Exactly what I thought - the dude examins the engine bay in detail and gives his thumbs up, and as a mechanic, that's gotta count for something.

Guy now wants his money back, of course, but I'm not going to - we have signed a sales contract stating that the car was mechanically sound, and I delivered him a mechanically sound car. What was done later on, in these 90min it took him to call me, that's not my problem.

But I still feel bad for the guy, I'm a car salesman myself for the UK's favourite car make (Fiat...) and I know how much it sucks if something doesn't work.

Anyways, the dealership that took care of the car for me will go get it tomorrow evening and take a look at it, but I doubt they'll be much help.

I briefly heard the sound of the broken engine over the phone - it was like a mechanical stuttering, as if it wasn't running the way it should, I thought one of the cylinders was fucked... still, not having seen the car, it becomes very difficult for me to assess the damage.

The engine was fully standard safe for a different air filter, mileage around 57000mi if that helps.

Rory

Lifer
From the quick description you gave in your first post, it looks like the "young dude" has thrashed it until its blown, his fault not yours.
If he has signed the contract there is nothing more he can do to change that.

Ignore him and move on. :)

thefalls

Member +
As above,he bought a mechanically sound car and thrashed it. So he got what he deserved but you must maintain your say in all this.
Most probably he overboosted this engine and it got blown.

PS: Next time you sell a car,better get a compression done when delivering the car. [Just a thought]

hekker

Fresh Recruit
the german dude was thinking he waz driving a vtec ha he prob never driven turbo before thats why he woz hittin the limiter dont feel sorry man its his own fault

Ted

Member +
totally up to you if you want to give him a goodwill amount back, as he lives in a different country legally would be impossible to hold you liable.