Engine wont fire

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
right guys my guys been off road since early september...
two saturdays ago i started the starlet and it ran for 5 minutes ir thereabouts..

i then noticed my race spec inlet had a part throttle issue, revs wernt steady only at closed or wot conditions, so i had enough and decided to swap back to the stock inlet..

went to start car over festive period, and it wont fire..
it did fire for a few secs, but revs were like 500rpm, i blipped throttle and it died..

since then ive tried jump starting it off my other car but wont fire at all..
its cranks, you can smell the petrol through the exhaust after ive tried starting it..

now ive checked all sparks and king lead, and the spark is a very bright blue colour, all earths are connected like ecu earth on inlet manifold, i also cleaned some earth points up..

i also pulled the lines of the fuel rail and as i crank, petrol pours out at quite a force can also hear fuel pump too..

also the starter motor is working, as the battery loses charge, you hear the clicking of the starter..

timing hasnt changed, i have not touched dizzy cap and belt hasnt slipped..

is their anything else to check??
or anything that stop it firing?

AdamB

Member +
Check the TPS is setup correctly mate, it might not fire because it thinks TDC is somewhere it isn't.

AdamB

Member +
cheers adam i double check the tps..
its so weird how it doesnt fire through jump starting..

I don't know why I said that as it isn't true lol. Still check the TPS though as the ecu may be thinking differently to what is actually happening.
Check the engine timing as well, it could have slipt a tooth.

Josh-G-tt

Member +
take the dizzy apart mate, mine was the same last year, wouldn't run well at all, inside of dizzy was all white and furry.. worth a look!

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
yours wasnt starting at all josh??
did you clean it out??

well with regards to map sensor, im using the greddy one with the EMU, the stock one may have failed, but havent got a known working one to replace it with..

yh adam the tps i felt woudlnt make a difference, but still doesnt take long to check..

anything else i may have missed?

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
right little update..

todayi had chance to work on mtor, i replaced battery for a known working one that was charged, still did not fire..
i cleaned up all dizzy cap connection points, still no joy..

now when i cranked it it was turning over on the started motor, but moment i thought it had fired and released the key in ignition it died..
so im stumped as to why car wont run itself..

i did a diagnostic test and its all clear(had a continuous amount of flashes).

so im really not sure what else to try,

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
yes adam that earth is connected..
gauge says ive got about a quarter left of fuel and is a strong smell of petrol.. spose i could try that..

wildchild

Member +
remove the plug/socket from the ecu and clean it with a contact cleaner and plug it back in. if it doesnt start then you have to remove your injectors and check them. some might be blocked. some injectors wont open at all when left for some time without use. just a few taps on them while starting will do the trick sometimes. has worked for me once.

Also check your spark plugs..

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
all four spark plugs are soaking in petrol after cranking, and the engine gets flooded with fuel..so kinda indicated injectors r working..

but is their anything that would tell the ecu not to fire??

wildchild

Member +
remove the plugs from the engine and plug the ignition leads. Then ground them or hold them against the head, rocker cover or front panel and ask someone to crank engine. see if the spark plugs induce a spark.
if not then you can trace it to the leads or distributor cap or else coil.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
ive already done that matey..
all four spark plugs produce a nice light blue spark, as does king lead..

completely baffled by it..

weeJohn

Lifer
So you have plenty of fuel going in as all the plugs are wet, you have a good spark when cranking on all cylinders. Petrol will go stale over time, absorb a little moisture and make it hard to ignite so you need to put fresh stuff in. If you remove the rubber hose from the fuel rail return where it leaves the metal pipe going behind the fuel rail, replace it with a longer bit of hose that you can run down to a container of some sort. Link out FP and B+ in the diagnostic plug, turn the ignition to position 2 and the fuel pump will run constantly. This will pump the fuel out of the tank and allow you to put a tenners worth of fresh fuel in so you can try it again.

If it still struggles then with dry plugs, you need to look at cylinder compression loss, maybe a stuck valve.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
cheers john.. i do that tomorrow..
its very strange how it started 4 weeks ago on same fuel.. but i do appreciate petrol degrades over a period of weeks, and we have had a lot of rain in the south east, whilst my car has been stored..

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
she fires... drove car first time in 4 months, what a feeling..

it was down to the petrol, drained tank and put fresh stuff in and it started first time..

thanks to wee john..