engine wont turn?

pig666eon

Member +
put a engine into a car the the other day got it all buttoned up today and went to start it, nothing from it when i turn the key the doors locks opens and the hazards come on for 3 secs, all the dash lights are coming on

ive double checked all the connectors all fine and ive checked everything for a dropped earth but everything is giving 12v

there is a aftermarket alarm in it which im kind of hinting towards but is there anything else i could be missing? going to go out and do a diag on her aswell a fuse test before i disconnect the alarm as a last resort

any input would be great cheers

Rev

Member +
1% a turbo timer if fitted can cut the engine. Just curious do you still hear the engine relay or starter motor click when you have no starting.

pig666eon

Member +
right so ive been out checked all the fuses all fine, done a diag and it pulled up 22 now i am aware that the temp sensor is disconnected its a 96 engine into a 98 loom and the connector is different, have one ordered and it will be here tomorrow but i taught that it still should start am i wrong in saying that?

pulled out the panels and its a abortion of a job with the alarm i wouldnt even know where to start tbh, im just hoping its something stupid so i dont have to go near it. alarm works fine locks unlocks ect i would have assumed that if there was a break or that causing the car not to run that it would be faulty aswell but it seems fine

pig666eon

Member +
right got it, it was some doggy wiring but ive sorted it now and its turning

there is enough fuel pressure there but it doesnt seem to be firing, its really close to but nothing ive turned it over a good few times now. im getting a spark and that maybe it the temp sensor not being able to start it cold if you get me doesnt the ecu control the amount of fuel with the injectors for a cold start?

should i bull on turning it anyway it should kick in eventually? dont want to do any damage to the starter motor or anything

Rev

Member +
If the air temp sensor is not working/connected it defaults to 20deg C and should start easily at 20degC. I have intermitant start even though the alarm locks doors flashes etc I think given the above advice the alarm is still a contender. I click the starter 10 times sometimes to start it seems robust enough.

Last edited:

pig666eon

Member +
got it going there a while ago but it was a bit choppy, traced it back to a split in the map sensor hose, it was ticking over perfect then for about a min then just spluttered out, tried getting it running again it will tick over for about 2 sec then cuts out again

now the engine is up a good temp if you get me could this be the cause with the temp sensor not connected? ill be changing it tomorrow just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas just in case its not the problem

pig666eon

Member +
alright so the cause of it cutting out seems to be the map sensor, for some reason when the line is connected from the intake it wont tick over splutters out, but when i have it disconnected it starts and runs

ive changed over a map sensor from another car but its the exact same, with the map sensor open and the intake open it runs and if i block off the intake the revs drop and idles normally. soon as i connect it to the map sensor it splutters out again

anyone with the foggiest on what could be the cause?

Rev

Member +
No solution but related issues I have noticed -
> Gunk inside the intake can half block the intake hole and effect the map sensor reading.
> My safc reads map at startup the map reading drops with lower battery voltage.

So wiring may be worth checking , good luck.