EP 71 turbo S

smiley-81

Fresh Recruit
guys just saw and old EP 71 turbo, looked cool, all white and on the orginal steel wheels, does any body have any experience with these, are they as fast as the later ones, must be rare now?

Cooch

Member +
Think there only 1.0 litre 12 valves arent they? Might be wrong as i dont know much about them. Bloody light though!

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would love them. they are sooo cool its unreal. i know they are definitely 12v engines but not sure on capacity. think they are 110bhp which is pretty good i think.

Guye

Lifer
There were also 1300cc. Well 1200+ cc but I can't remember the exact number. I like how they look as well, real old school.

Domi

Member +
The Ep71 turbo S comes with an 2E-TELU 110BHP engine. They are also 1300CC only 12V instead of the 16V from the 4EFTE. Drove an turbo s one time and there are pretty fast.

The non turbo have an 1000cc or 1300cc engine.

Trevor

Member +
Ep71

I drove one for a couple of years.They are quite nippy.They don't have the same power as a GT but then they don't weigh as much.

weeJohn

Lifer
I had one of these, about 12 years ago!
Apparently Toyota only made them in automatic, thats what mine was.
They can be converted to manual and many were.
Looked great then, deep bumpers, side skirts, rear high level spoiler and a hugh bonnet bulge and scoop for the top mount.
Only ever saw them in white

Timmy

Member +
i think there were manuals. They might have been 4 speed boxes tho. and theresomewhere between 1.2 and 1.3. Using a ct12 turbo i think.

jamesbaa

Member +
Taken from glanza.co.uk

"Turbo S EP71 (1987 -1990)

Again, featuring a different body style to the model that replaced it, the Turbo S was the first turbo-charged Starlet that Toyota produced. Featuring a 1295cc, 12 Valve engine (2T-TELU), the vehicle produced approximately 105bhp in its first incarnation, rising to 110bhp in later revisions. Performance for that era was especially good as the car only weighed in at approximately 790kgs. After its introduction, the Japanese affectionately nicknamed it ‘The Lightning Bolt’."

Deano

Banned
Nice lil cars and all but rust killed most of them they were the first starlet to have the hi/lo boost button too

Guye

Lifer
300703472_9593bb97b4.jpg

Very nice pic of one here...