EP82 engine light flashing... fuel being cut?

Barnz74

Fresh Recruit
Hi,
I've searched through the usual stuff, FCD, fuel cut, cutting out, etc.
Had my first EP82 since June, so I'm quite a newbie. It's an auto. For the last month now it's been flashing it's engine light at me. Only sometimes, but tied in with that the thing nearly cuts out normally when idling but sometimes when running too. Like there is a air lock in the fuel line. Forums suggest the fuel cut is kicking in, but it has an HKS FCD fitted (by last owner). I've bought a Walbro fuel pump as the existing one is well noisey, so that's going in this wekeend.
What I need to know is why is the engine light flashing (about once every 15 min on a drive) and is it doing damage even if I have an FCD fitted?
I will pull the codes this weekend to check them.
Any ideas or is this basically fuel cut?

cheers for help
B

5e colin

Member +
if u hit feul cut its like hitting a wal i might have a blocked feul filter starving her of feul ????

best to pull the codes can geus al day otherwise

Barnz74

Fresh Recruit
Hey 5E Colin
Not like hitting a wall, more like losing power very quickly like power lost to the fuel pump then comes back on. Could be vacuum leak I spose.
I will change f/pump to Walbro 255, check codes and then leads & plugs this weekend.
I doubt it's leads /plugs because they have not been changed since I bought it and it was fine for the first 3 months, but I can always be wrong!!

I'm more concerned about the engine check light and don't want to give it beans until that goes out! :D
Will update soon

Barnz74

Fresh Recruit
Hi checked codes and i get 31.... map sensor. Drove it today and it hesitates and fluffs/jerks at 2000rpm when coasting along. Any ideas? I'm thinking leads or supply from fuel pump?
While driving the check engine light comes on for 4-5 seconds then goes off again every 10 mins or so

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
Try checking the map sensor tube to the inlet manifild. Clean it out and especially the tube attached to the manifold. This can get partially block from gunk inside the manifold and effect vaccum at lower revs.