ep82 rods vs ep91 rods is there a difference?

tersplat

Member +
Why yes there is heres the proof

Picture187-1.jpg

ep82 left ep91 on the right.

jam

Member +
According to Toyota it must be the same because they use the same 4efte engine unless someone put in a forged rods in and you got the chance to have it on.only 5efhe are different more thicker rods.The pic on the right didn`t seem to be a 4efte rods.

Last edited:

nexia201

Member +
of coarse they are different Gt's have con rods Glanza's have chicken legs :p must have been a credit crunch in Japland at the time the glanza was coming out :p

nexia201

Member +
of coarse they are different Gt's have kon rods Glanza's have chicken legs :p must have been a credit crunch in Japland at the time the glanza was coming out :p and chickens are always abbundant there :p

ALaN

Member +
this has been brought up a few times and i've not even been on the forum long! The glanza rods are thinner but i wouldn't say they were weaker.i'm sure 1 of the lads from malta tested them for breaking pressure and could only get them to bend.i think they made them thinner and better balanced to raise the rev limit that bit higher than the 82 but thats just me guessing

Phil

Super Moderator
check hardcoreep's webpage posted above.

he was the guy that gathered the info.

the glanza rods are different.

though they still seem to bend when gt rods would still prevail.

do a search :)

Phil

nexia201

Member +
this has been brought up a few times and i've not even been on the forum long! The glanza rods are thinner but i wouldn't say they were weaker.i'm sure 1 of the lads from malta tested them for breaking pressure and could only get them to bend.i think they made them thinner and better balanced to raise the rev limit that bit higher than the 82 but thats just me guessing

whats the test that the Maltese guy did 35psi boost? and they didnt bend? just the luck

Texx

Super Moderator
Just to add to that, according to EPC the last month build of the EP82 4EFTE (12/1995 > 01/1996) used the same rods as the EP91.

Part numbers:

EP82
12/1989 > 12/1995 - 13201-19105 (now superseded to later part no. 19106)
12/1995 > 01/1996 - 13201-19106

EP91
01/1996 > 07/1999 - 13201-19106

gv1.3

Admin
I would suspect that materials used and structural design play a very large part in the strength of rods not just how thick they are. If thickness was the only factor all rods would be 2 foot thick and weigh about 3 stone.

The direct comparison photos do make for interesting viewing but they tell us one thing and one thing only... there is a difference in thickness of the rods. Up to 1 bar or boost and slightly above, fueling set correctly and rev limit not exceeded then I dont see rod failure being a huge issue. Those wanting to push things further tend to go forged and in that instance it makes no difference as the rods are usually replaced anyway.