Ep91 Rear axel

Valdas

Member +
is the ep91 rear axel the same as ep81 or even 1l starlet ??? just when you ring someone who brakes a glanza they ask for 100 quid for glanza axel but starlet they say just come at take it out of the yard. The mental price dif is due to the name of the car.

If they are all the same I would save few quid pls let me know

Rob H

Member +
the axel its self is the same but the hubs and the brakes are different. but the brakes and hubs off a turbo axel will bolt onto a n/a axel

Valdas

Member +
sound for that so will just get n/a starlet axel and just use hubs and that of my own axel happy days that saved me couple of euros

Anglas

Member +
Yes they are compatible. The only thing to keep in mind is that drum handbrake and disk handbrake cables differ.

dark_knight

Member +
The axle itself is the same across several variants of the Starlet series. As already mentioned here, only the hubs and handbrake mechanisms differ. Depending on whether you have drum or disk brakes, you may want to consider using the hubs off your (current) axle and swapping them onto the replacement/new axle.
Remember to give the new axle a nice clean, remove the bearings and check for wear, clean them up with solvent then dry it using pressurized air. Lube it up with fresh bearing grease and replace all parts in reverse. While at this, you may also want to check the health of your brake pads/shoes.. :)
I've done this over and over again on many Starlets, both drum and disk braked ones and the core axle components are always the same. You may also want to check whether yours is an ABS or non-ABS axle. If non-ABS, then it won't have the tiny hole for the ABS sensor to go through.