Eratic Idle??!!!

GlanzaTD04

Member +
Morning people,

have not long got my engine back from Tuning D, everything is running perfect, all but the idle! Used to have a rough idle before engine came out but is worse now since everythings been out for a couple of months.

Idles fine whilst choke is on but once warm will hunt between 1500-2000rpm all the time, very uniformed and will never change no matter if the lights/heaters etc are on. Ive already cleaned ICV, checked air leaks in vac hoses but to no avail! any one else got any ideas...appreciated as always! :)

Gtstu

Member +
if its idleing that high with no vav leaks i would be checking the waxstat in the throttle body the water ways to or from the pipes could be blocked up. run the car up to temp and see if the two water pipes get hot if not you have a blockage. usually from the thermo housing the little thin pipe gets blocked stopping flow causing the wax stat to stay open .

GlanzaTD04

Member +
if its idleing that high with no vav leaks i would be checking the waxstat in the throttle body the water ways to or from the pipes could be blocked up. run the car up to temp and see if the two water pipes get hot if not you have a blockage. usually from the thermo housing the little thin pipe gets blocked stopping flow causing the wax stat to stay open .

cheers for the advice Stu will give them a go tonight, least i can cancel a few more things off the list! would the wax pellet being open all the time to cause the idle that i have or just keep the idle high? will try cleaning the stat under the throttle body too and see if i have any joy! will try post a clip of how it sounds shortly too!

ta again chap

GlanzaTD04

Member +
further to this, now my TPS seems to be making a horrible squealing sound, although have tried unplugging which kinda sorts the idle out but still making this horrid sound, would this still do it regardless of it being unplugged?...anyone?

AdamB

Member +
If you've unplugged the tps and the car has actually started to run better, then more than likely you need a new tps.