Error Code 12 - Rought idle / Stalls

davehart

Member +
Bloody cars.

I've just done the water pump again on mine due to a leaking gasket. I did not remove the cambelt so I doubt this is a timing issue.

Only electrical thing I removed was the alternator.

Everything is back together now and I have a missfire / idle issues.

Flagged up error code 12, looked it up checked all the areas the trouble code points towards and they are all fine, earths on, connectors not damp.

Starts up, run normal for about 20 seconds when cold then starts to miss, drops idle and now when warm idles at 400. One slight blip on the throttle and the revs drop to nothing and the car stalls.

I have run out of ideas to where to look? I've checked the leads, plugs and all that area and they are perfectly fine.

Any ideas before I burn the bloody thing! :)

fault 12 is RPM signal i believe

ig- in diagnostics plug is rpm signal, get a meter on that to ecu ground and see what reading you get in volts, if it changes with rpm then that side of thing will seem to be ok

davehart

Member +
fault 12 is RPM signal i believe

ig- in diagnostics plug is rpm signal, get a meter on that to ecu ground and see what reading you get in volts, if it changes with rpm then that side of thing will seem to be ok

Bloody ungrateful little shite it is now I'm fixing all the little jobs on it I've neglected for years :)

I'll get the meter out tonight and see what it comes out with. battery voltage is fine.

davehart

Member +
And the cause of this error code and rough idle....a piss wet through ECU.

Dried it overnight with the hairdryer, put back in today and the little fella's all well again. Just needs an MOT now and its back on the road.