Error Code 42?

GT_Chris

Member +
Right car failed mot on emissions badly and just done dianostics test and its coming up code 42 - no VSS signal

on the dianostics table it says

2500-5000rpm, coolent temp over 80'c, injector duration over certian value, and no vss signal

Whats shall i do?

GT_Chris

Member +
Speedo works mate, but i did take a bolt out of the back to put in my sidelight for the mot, dunno if that will affect it, but my rev counter also doesnt show true reading for some reason on idle it shows 0rpm when i no its idling at 1k

always starts first time mate.

scot-ish

Member +
a defective speedo cable would give up that error code. but i dont know how much that will put off the emissions.

GT_Chris

Member +
a defective speedo cable would give up that error code. but i dont know how much that will put off the emissions.

What so it needs new speedo cable?

also i said to um about the rev counter not reading right and if it would bugger the emissions all they said was 'no that wudnt matter' weather thats true or not i dont no

Texx

Super Moderator
If the speedo is working, then the cable will be fine.

Have you reset the ECU and checked if any codes return?

GT_Chris

Member +
If the speedo is working, then the cable will be fine.

Have you reset the ECU and checked if any codes return?

Ill disconnect the battery 2moz for abit then try it then, cause it was dark when i done a quick diagnostics

tommrs

Member +
sorry to steal your thread .. but would error 42 act as if my car is in neutral even if its in gear :S please help