evo 4

twin cam

Member +
wel, what do ye make of these, what are they like, any experience, revwies. how are they on petrol, ect. thanks. reps added for help;)

Gav_Kara

Member +
Evo 4's are crap,i cant remember the fault with them till my fella finishs work and i ask him!
Id go for an Evo 5+ there not very good on fuel either we had an Evo 6

Epjoni

Member +
active yaw control can give trouble in them.its only in some of them though..not that bad on petrol really unless your driving it hard all the time.good car really:)

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I like the Evo 4's. Just like any 2.0l Turbocharged 4wd car, insurance is dear aswell as fuel costs and servicing.

4's also have a tendency to suffer from "Crankwalk" but dont let that put you off. Its best trying to source one with a later engine in it. Common trend is to convert to an Evo8 engine.

Epjoni

Member +
Evo 4's are crap,i cant remember the fault with them till my fella finishs work and i ask him!

why they crap??we had one and it was great except for AYC problems which is common with them

wesgt

Lifer
thanks everyone, what kind of problems with ayc

think its something to do with the ayc pump failing. if you buy an rs it has no ayc, but also has no abs! some lads replace the ayc system with front and centre diffs instead

mossie477

Member +
i have an evo4 got a 6 engine it thou so the engine is no trouble. had it 2 years now an apart from changing a seized brake caliper and a diff which was on its way out when i bought it it has benen good. and petrol consumption isnt great im getting about 120 kms to €20 euro it seems the same if i drive it on standard boost or driving hard at 1.5 bar although it has a good few mods so thats not going to be as good as a standard 1.

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)

What a load of tish... My Evo 4 gave me no problems in 3 years of ownership. If driven sensibly (mine was a daily driver), then 25mpg's achievable. Get some Iridium plugs and an induction kit, and then you'll just need to change oil, so not too bad on servicing. AYC oil needs to be replaced/monitored every so often, and clutches are expensive to replace (labour wise). Other than that, make sure it's been loved (and that you can afford the insurance) and it'll be fine.

wesgt

Lifer
What a load of tish... My Evo 4 gave me no problems in 3 years of ownership. If driven sensibly (mine was a daily driver), then 25mpg's achievable. Get some Iridium plugs and an induction kit, and then you'll just need to change oil, so not too bad on servicing. AYC oil needs to be replaced/monitored every so often, and clutches are expensive to replace (labour wise). Other than that, make sure it's been loved (and that you can afford the insurance) and it'll be fine.

that sums it up perfectly!!
5's are my fave, but 4's are definitely growing on me!

Gav_Kara

Member +
why they crap??we had one and it was great except for AYC problems which is common with them

What Iain said above Crankwalk and AYC

And on another note there ugly but each to there own

And to add to the note ours was 400bhp and still slow

Last edited:

98_glanza

Member +
i had an evo 4 for about a year with no bother at all.if you buy a good one and maintain it properly it wont give you many problems.very heavy on petrol

Fro

Member +

Well put.

What Iain said above Crankwalk and AYC

And on another note there ugly but each to there own

And to add to the note ours was 400bhp and still slow

I will admit, im not keen on their looks as standard but with a few mods and nice touches i quite like them. And must have been a shit map if it was still slow at 400bhp :p

Pay attention to the cost of INSURANCE, probably would be more than £2 or £3K!

Is that from experience? 2 of my mates both only just turned 23 one with an evo5 one an evo 6, none with the best of driving licenses, one pays circa £1200 the other circa £1400. Though im not saying it will be the same for everyone!

Paul_JJ

Member +
Well put.

Is that from experience? 2 of my mates both only just turned 23 one with an evo5 one an evo 6, none with the best of driving licenses, one pays circa £1200 the other circa £1400. Though im not saying it will be the same for everyone!

Well, I pay 1k for a Glanza and I am 27, may be you could share some info about the cheap insurance companies??? I would be more than happy to get my insurance down! May be it's also depends on the location??? A friend of mine (23) did a quote for an EVO5 and couldn't find it cheaper than 2K.

Boab

Member +
As mentioned before, crank walk is an issue on the 4's. Only really becomes a problem when you up the power.