Evo ii

ep82lunacy

Member +
Well guys GT sold yesterday after 3 years :( Didnt want to sell it but it was becoming a bit more of a money pit than i originally estimated.
So im goin lookin at an a shiny red EVO 2 in a week and was just wonering are they really as bad on fuel as people say they are anyone have any experience with them :confused: I know this is a toyota forum but what the hey :p

Cheers ..Jonnny

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
my mate has one that is a pile of crap and to be honest its been fairly reliable. his has some small rust issues, top end rattle, gearbox grinds and brakes dont work very well as he is too tight to replace the discs and pads.

he has abused it at santapod and doesnt look after it and it hasnt actually broken down on him.

pretty quick car though.

TurboDave

Member +
Well guys GT sold yesterday after 3 years :( Didnt want to sell it but it was becoming a bit more of a money pit than i originally estimated.
So im goin lookin at an a shiny red EVO 2 in a week and was just wonering are they really as bad on fuel as people say they are anyone have any experience with them :confused: I know this is a toyota forum but what the hey :p

Cheers ..Jonnny

As long as you look after them they are great cars, I have a 3 which I bought after breaking my GT. They are not very good at all on fuel you will be doing around 40 miles per £10 if you take it easy'ish. Wouldnt have one as an everyday car but as a fun car they are brilliant. Join on www.evo123.net theres loads of info on there.

get a evo 4 or above ther much more inproved or get gc8 sti vs for sim money but id say there quiker the a e2 and a proper drivers car

as with the fuel they arent they great but depend on the map, evo 1,2,3 can be mapped on the standard ecu and can run decent power with basic mods. evo 2engines are suppose to be the stronger of the earlier 4g64 engines. i have a forged evo 3 at the min running 400bhp and i love it :) although i go through 30-40quids worth of fuel a night when i take it out, from norwich to southend to lakeside and back to norwich i used 2 tanks of fuel on low boost (1bar) which is 85quid driving kind of sensible!!!
i have had 2 evo 4s and a evo6 and the 3 is by far the best to drive. no ayc probs, and when they go wrong which they will cost a fortune.
standard brakes arnt great but put a decent set of pads and discs on and there ok.
be sure to check for crank walk which evo 1,2,3,4s suffer from badly.
syncros in gearbox go all the time manly 3rd and 5th but other then that they are very strong and great for 1/4mile racing, i abuse mine all the time with plenty of 6-7k launches and only thing that went wrong is gearbox.

hope this helps and i havent put you off as they are qualitly cars :)

TurboDave

Member +
as with the fuel they arent they great but depend on the map, evo 1,2,3 can be mapped on the standard ecu and can run decent power with basic mods. evo 2engines are suppose to be the stronger of the earlier 4g64 engines. i have a forged evo 3 at the min running 400bhp and i love it :) although i go through 30-40quids worth of fuel a night when i take it out, from norwich to southend to lakeside and back to norwich i used 2 tanks of fuel on low boost (1bar) which is 85quid driving kind of sensible!!!
i have had 2 evo 4s and a evo6 and the 3 is by far the best to drive. no ayc probs, and when they go wrong which they will cost a fortune.
standard brakes arnt great but put a decent set of pads and discs on and there ok.
be sure to check for crank walk which evo 1,2,3,4s suffer from badly.
syncros in gearbox go all the time manly 3rd and 5th but other then that they are very strong and great for 1/4mile racing, i abuse mine all the time with plenty of 6-7k launches and only thing that went wrong is gearbox.

hope this helps and i havent put you off as they are qualitly cars :)

You cant map the standard ECU, the way you get around it is by de-soldering the standard chip from the ECU and buying an Ostrich emulator from the states, the emulator fits into the standard chip slot and has a seperate ROM which stores the new map on it and feeds it into the ECU.

What turbo are you running to make your 400bhp?

turbo dave im talkin from my expirience with evoz , been in or drove e1 e2 e4 e6 e8 e10 and e1 and 2 are a proper drivers cars but lacked the tourqe of the newer models , which hav a load of elecs to keep you on the road , n like i said i believe a sti v3 is a better car than the e1 n e2 , thats what i feel . u prob have dif driving style or somet

i have the 20g turbine and running 1.8bar and yes u r right u do just need to get the chip replaced but even still its very cheap and easy to do :) henstead motorsport built my engine and mapped mine, the owner is a friend and he know evos specially early ones inside out and maps him self. mine was just given to him and i got it back acouple of days later with launch control etc and running mint and fast.

i always thought later evos drove the best, even after owning a scooby, r33gst, r32gtr, pulsar, r5gtt etc etc and dave kept saying there not and a friend had the same spec as my 3 and he said there not so i got one and they werent wrong its is truely a drivers car