Exhaust Pipe Sizing and Backpressure

munday

Member +
On a turbo car bigger = better. The quickest way to get power is to get the turbo spooling as early as possible, and you do that by having the greatest pressure differential between each side of the turbo, so minimum restrictions after the turbo.

Some people say a slightly smaller diameter gives better torque...its simply not true.

Obviously no point in having a 3.5" system on a 150bhp car though ;)

On a turbo car bigger = better. The quickest way to get power is to get the turbo spooling as early as possible, and you do that by having the greatest pressure differential between each side of the turbo, so minimum restrictions after the turbo.

Some people say a slightly smaller diameter gives better torque...its simply not true.

Obviously no point in having a 3.5" system on a 150bhp car though ;)

you say bigger is better how come 3.5" be no good?

Phil

Super Moderator
3" side exit or 3" HRF exhaust are about the most insane exhaust you'll find on a starlet.

for your average 200bhp starlet id imagine a 2.25/2.5 system wouldnt be too much of a restriction, and if you go for an insane 3"system would the slight increase in power be worth it over the increased decibels?

i dont think so.

Phil

munday

Member +
what size piping and turbo are you using?

I'm only running a gutted cat and a HKS Hi power at the moment, if i were to change i would probably keep the backbox and get a custom 2.5" system made up...I'll never have mine over about 250 probably so wont need anything bigger :)

RobSR

Member +
3" side exit or 3" HRF exhaust are about the most insane exhaust you'll find on a starlet.

for your average 200bhp starlet id imagine a 2.25/2.5 system wouldnt be too much of a restriction, and if you go for an insane 3"system would the slight increase in power be worth it over the increased decibels?

i dont think so.

Phil

the hrf one isnt 3" all the way through, its only the rear sections ;)