Explain Driving and Automatic to me

Jack138

Member +
I may be getting old but I've only ever driven manual cars and was wondering if anyone could shine some light on how an automatic drives and in different styles, cruising, sporty etc?

Is there a big difference between age of car aswell, say a 300zx auto compared to something 5 years old? Would you ever recommend an automatic?

Texx

Super Moderator
Generally a big engine with a significant long flat torque output will drive better with an automatic transmission, however cars with an automatic transmission will be slightly heavier on fuel compared to their manual equivalent.

It really depends on what you want the car for, for long distance cruising an auto would be less tiring, for track or twisty roads a manual would provide a little more engine braking giving better control. If I was looking at buying a 300ZX then I'd personally go for an auto over a manual. I'm not sure about the 300ZX transmission, but some sporty auto transmissions can be switched into a semi-auto mode giving the driver more control over the gear changes.

Rev

Member +
x2 Low end is needed especially in traffic as there is some loss through the torque convertor until it fully locks.

On Style there are very big differences to consider -

> I enjoy driving with starlet auto box but mine struggles in second below 40kph. After 40kph i have good acceleration to redline. My style is turn off OD (4th) so you drive in 2nd or 3rd. You only need to change one gear ie back to 2nd and you have all the acceleration you need.

> In contast my wifes Subaru non turbo is a pain because you cant easily change back the auto shift is very cumbersome.

> The Subaru sports shift though is much better you can flip up and down gears with a single move or move between normal auto mode and sport with a single move.

> I have been told to save fuel ( fuel consumption madnesss ) some cars have seven gears so in manual or sports auto you go crazy having to change gears all the time just going a short distance. I prefer the the longer ratios in my car which means one gear change is all I need.

Other things worth considering are future options -
> There is a new tech. manual /auto gear box coming that does not require a clutch and is more fuel efficient than a manual gear box.
> If the petrol companys are controlled by the Government - It may be possible to find a good electric cars for city driving very soon.