external hard drives

steo800

Member +
hey!

Two parts to this post;
1 will be do i understand them correctly and their advantages/disadvantages

2 will be what one is best.

apart form obvious advantage or more memory(not really something i need), i understand the advantages of them are-
1. keeping pc/laptop up to nominal speed by storing programs and stuff on the HD. for example, computer starting up with hd unplugged and it wont take ages to start when compared to if it was brand new.
2. backup of things if computer goes tits up
3. good for storing pics, videos and junk that i dont need regularly but would like to keep

am i on the right track so far?

disadvantages-
1. more money
2. instead of one item(computer) it will be 2 items(computer+hd)

am i missing anything?

then the other part, what is good(reliable, fast, cheap)?

any good sites to compare them spec for spec?
cheers!

ChrisGT

Member +
Why do you want one? Running out of space? Want to backup important files? Keep the amount of files stored on your PC to a minimum so it runs quicker?

You could always buy another IDE/SATA internal HDD and bung it in? I bought a 500GB Western Digital MyBook Essential for I think £55ish from PC World. And that was because I had to get it from there, I'm sure they can be found online for cheaper! WD are a good brand. If you are worried about lugging around an external HD you could always go for a "passport" - much smaller.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?&groupid=1657&catid=1659&rows=0

HTH.

Gryzor

Admin
500 Gb power source USB, means it completely portable and you don't need to plug it in.
http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=499192

A very handey addition, though I have heard some comments about problems with voice sync.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=493316

Other Advantages.
1. rather than carrying the laptop around u just need to carry the external HD. bring your movie/music collect over to mates etc.
2. most car radios have USB ports plug in your HD and you have your full music collect.

Last edited:

Arnold

Lifer
1. keeping pc/laptop up to nominal speed by storing programs and stuff on the HD. for example, computer starting up with hd unplugged and it wont take ages to start when compared to if it was brand new.

Not true. If you install stuff to the external drive which launches on start up, they'll be running from your external disk, which may be potentially slower than an internal one. If the drive is removed and you boot the machine, the system might not start up correctly. You can use simple programs to disable items from starting up (msconfig, hijackthis), but keeping them installed still.

2. backup of things if computer goes tits up
True, unless your external drive goes tits up then you've lost that also!

3. good for storing pics, videos and junk that i dont need regularly but would like to keep
Yep :)

1. more money
Generally cost more, but you're also paying for the mobility. I've got one that cost about £70, it runs off a USB port (no power adaptor needed) and i can fit it in my pocket. It's a Western Digital Passport if anyone's interested.

ChrisGT

Member +
Oh yeah, defo get one that is powered via USB. The pain about my one is carrying around the AC adaptor/plug.

Also, defo get a WDTV HD Media player if you have a HD TV. They are the mutts fuckin' nutts.

addz

Member +
I can see you are loving yours dude:) ^

I have a passport size 250GB HD which is powered and connected by USB 2.0. I love it, can take it wherever I want, stick it in my pocket, take it to a mates etc.. The luxury is that my computer stays clean and this WD hard drive gets all the junk

Big_Daddy

Member +
I have a net disk external drive with network support, very handy to share multimedia with other pc/laptops, thats the main benfit for me lol

ChrisGT

Member +
I can see you are loving yours dude:) ^

I have a passport size 250GB HD which is powered and connected by USB 2.0. I love it, can take it wherever I want, stick it in my pocket, take it to a mates etc.. The luxury is that my computer stays clean and this WD hard drive gets all the junk

I think everyone who has a HD TV and the ability to download HD rips should buy a WDTV. They are awesome.

quadcorecraig

Member +
i have a 1TB external drive and 1TB sata HDD in my setup

i always use the external 1 to back up and share files with friends

thinking of buying another

ChrisGT

Member +
I haven't moved on to HD TV and all. Albeit dvdrips do the trick for me, still a win win:)

Ah man, you say that now but wait until you're watching Transformers (and Megan Fox) in 1080p high def. You'll never want to go back!!

steo800

Member +
does the hi def hard drive plug into a hi def telly through hdmi?

im assuming the videos/films you play through a hi def telly are stored on the hard drive and not streamed via it?

addz

Member +
Ah man, you say that now but wait until you're watching Transformers (and Megan Fox) in 1080p high def. You'll never want to go back!!

But when I do move to HD i'm sure i'll have a big enough TV to jump in Megan Foxs bra and live in there, a bit like a joey in a pouch

ChrisGT

Member +
But when I do move to HD i'm sure i'll have a big enough TV to jump in Megan Foxs bra and live in there, a bit like a joey in a pouch

I've got a 50inch plasma mate. I would also settle in her bosom forever. :kiss:

ragz

Member +

ah man you took that right outta my head
she is a babe n a half

anyways back on topic im currently after a usb powered ext hard drive was looking at the western digital ones any recomendations

cheers

steo800

Member +
think im gonna settle on the wd passport 320gb

just looking at the what os its compatible with, 2000xp, something else, but will it work with windows 7(for when i eventually get it)

€77 delivered from ebay

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
I got a Buffalo W1.0TIU2/R1 form work last year, just happened to come home with me one day. Brilliant hd, 1TB usb device. Dl movies on my pc then upload to external hd which plugs into my bt hub then my ps3 picks it up wireless and my movies all stream on it.