External wastegate wont open

Ryan87

Member +
Got my TD04 fitted during the week. Took the car for a spin last night for the
1st time and the Tial wastgate wasnt opening. So got home thinking it was faulty and took it off the mani. I can push the spring up with my fingers if i use alot of force and we tested it on a air line and the wastegate opened.

I am stumped as to what is wrong any ideas?
its a tial v band wastegate if that helps

Last edited:

Ryan87

Member +
yeah i have plumbed in the boost controller and it wouldnt open then i ran the pipe striaght of the turbo to the wastegate and it didnt work

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
You have the collar fitted also? Vacuum running from the bottom port of the wastegate to the compressor housing should run @ spring pressure.

What spring do you have fitted?

Thanks

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

Mark-ep91

Member +
yeah i have plumbed in the boost controller and it wouldnt open then i ran the pipe striaght of the turbo to the wastegate and it didnt work

cool i no the boost controllers have a setting at the back of them for internal and external wastegate setting make sure its setup for external wastegate and try it again?

also if you could draw a pic of how u have yours setup or take a pic and upload it maybe someone would have a better idea how to help

Ryan87

Member +
the boost controller is dead on i had a external ct9 set up before i went with the TD04 kit and the boost controller was spot on.

Will try get a pic but it wont be till tomorrow

Ryan87

Member +
You have the collar fitted also? Vacuum running from the bottom port of the wastegate to the compressor housing should run @ spring pressure.

What spring do you have fitted?

Thanks

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

yes i have the collar fitted. had the vac line running from the turbo to the bottom port and still nothing

i was told theres a 0.9 spring in it but it shoots up to over a bar as its not releasing the pressure. Dont want to blow the engine

350ep70gr

Member +
Could be a stronger spring inside..use an adjustable/gauge airgun to confirm it needs 0.9 bar for the spring to open.What colour is the spring inside the wastegate?Is it a new item or a used one?

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
It is very easy to open and replace the spring if need it. Anyway..if you dont want to open you need to confirm the spring by applying the named pressure via a restricted compressor line. But if it is a 1.2 bar spring inside or whatever..will not be fully open by your turbo until you hit this boost.

Chris

Edit: http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_38_sp.pdf

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
Put a foot pump on the hose via a connector for pumping up inflatables and shit like that. Then pump away like fuck and see if it opens.

Ryan87

Member +
I havnt had the wastegate of again yet to test with the foot pump. But i when i had it off the other day i hooked it up to the compressor like in the video below and it opened just like this.

[video=youtube;6TlcIe0BRVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlcIe0BRVY[/video]

Last edited:

Ryan87

Member +
Had the wastegate off today and opened it up. There was two springs inside grey coloured one and a smaller gold one.
is there ment to be two springs inside??

Rory

Lifer
Yeah you can have 2 springs inside, is there any colour markings on them?

Have you welded the internal gate on the td04 shut?
This hasnt been asked..

Ryan87

Member +
yeah it came part of a kit welded shut. there is just a grey and gold one. When i opened it up the gold one was sitting inside the grey spring. I put the gold spring back in and took it for a spin to see what would happen and it held 0.5 perfect

Rory

Lifer
There isnt any sign of colour marking on the ends of the springs?
So you took it apart, put it back together, now it boosts 0.5 bar??

Ryan87

Member +
not on the grey one any way. I didnt put the grey spring back in only the gold to see what would happen and it held 0.5 bar. Unlike before with both in it shot to over a bar.