facing an unroadworthy vehicle charge

stew

Member +
got pulled a little while back regarding an unroadworthy vehicle which was, to be fair, unroadworthy

obvious stuff i got pulled up on was
  • having no front mounted number plate (was on top of the dashboard)
  • no front drivers quarter panel (had a knock a couple of days earlier and tempo bodged a piece of laminate flooring with gaffer tape to make up for the panel not being there, just until i could get home at the other end of the country to fit the proper replacement panel),
  • i think the wheels might have been bald or low as they had marks on them when i picked the car up after it got seized,
  • no front bumper or indicators and a sharp bit of metal from the corner of the front valance where it had the crash 2 days previously
  • a back brake light was out

it got seized, taken away on a trailer and checked by some sort of mechanical engineer i think

and things i knew were wrong but not really obvious were:
  • handbrake wasnt perfect
  • front light was misaligned, again due to crash
  • some tyres were bald..balding.. baldish
  • exhaust backbox wasnt fully attached to the rest of the pipe

i will be expecting a court appearance come through my l/box some time in the near future but taking into account im a young lad with no previous, holding up a job and need a car for work/social and the fact i had only crashed 2 days previous to the police obllocking what kind of penalty do i stand to receive?......baring in mind i am still in the first 2 years of my driving licence and 6 points or more will be an insta-ban?

i had the car in question sent to a scrap dealers for scrapping/dismantling almost immediately after the faults (which werent, cough, obvious to me) were eventually pointed out, and then got a 'certificate of destruction' (it sounds awesome but it really isnt) which proves the car is no longer going to be on the road do you think tthis will weigh in my favour?

as usual any help is very gratefully received but please dont give me textual abuse for being a derkhead. cause i dont need telling. thanks

bucketep91

Member +
just out of interest, what car was it?

tbf it doesnt sound good. if u have 2 bald tyres which im guessing you do then you will get 3 points for each bald tyre, i dont think u can get points for the number plate as i got a 70 quid fine for mine, not sure on the break light tho

LoganK

Member +
buckets right mate, tyres are 3poimts each, the plates a fine and break light i just got told to fix it. Hopefully someone can shed more light on your panels etc..

jam35

Member +
you will get a total of 6 points for the tyres being bal and as you are still in your first 2 years of driving this will mean your licence will get revoked.as for the panels yes you will get points for that to, this will be left up to the magistrate. either way you will be in for a fair few quid in fines court costs vehicle inspection and hav e to resit yourtest an then get it back and still have points on it.:holdit:

stew

Member +
ill have had my license for 2 years this coming october, if somehow i can delay the court appearance til then would it count as a 'proper' license and thus able to take a few more point blows without being revoked?

cheers

stew

Jay-Glanza

Member +
try get ur solicitor to get it ajourned thats what i did when i was up in court for illegal tyres then i was allowed 12 points on my licence mate

lingl9z

Member +
Apparently it still goes by what state your licence was on the date of the ticket being issued. - Also sometimes you can get lucky and end up with 5 points instead of 6 (if you literally do need the car for work and could possibly lose you home etc etc) the fact you got the car destroyed may weigh in your favour as it shows when you realised you was in the wrong the took it off the road.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
  • having no front mounted number plate (was on top of the dashboard)

This one is bollocks, law doesnt state the number plate must be attached to the bumper, it states a number plate facing the front.

DVLA guidelines on how they should be displayed.

All registration marks including marks purchased through DVLA's sales scheme must be displayed in accordance with The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (obtainable from Her Majesty's Stationery Office).

Rules for the display of number plates are set out in law, briefly these are: -

* A number plate must be displayed at the front and rear of motor vehicles (with some exceptions).
* Number Plates must be easy to read and meet the British Standard.
* Lettering should be black on a white plate at the front and a yellow at the rear.
* The background surface should be reflex-reflecting but the characters must not.
* There are separate requirements for traditional number plates displayed on vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973.
* Lettering and spacing must be of a set size. They must conform to one of the groups shown at:- Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 or Number plates fitted before 1 September 2001.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
i got a 70 quid fine for it iain:O

£70?! :eek: Ive had this told to me before about getting a fine, i challenged it and told them the DVLA website states nothing about the registration needing to be mounted on the bumper, they done nothing. Think its just an easy money scam.

bucketep91

Member +
i did have a motorbike number plate on the bumper but i had my square plate in the window.
the basterds tried to give me a fine for my rear tow eye too:slap:

i didnt pay it anyway lol

lingl9z

Member +
£70?! :eek: Ive had this told to me before about getting a fine, i challenged it and told them the DVLA website states nothing about the registration needing to be mounted on the bumper, they done nothing. Think its just an easy money scam.

indeed aslong as it's displayed and with legal font and spacing etc they usually only fine for failure to display it... !

Texx

Super Moderator
* A number plate must be displayed at the front and rear of motor vehicles (with some exceptions).

Displaying the number plate at the front of the vehicle would involve fixing it to either the front bumper or front grill, there isn't anywhere else at the front for it to go.

The dashboard isn't at the front of the vehicle.

stew

Member +
appreciate the comments,, i heard the number plate needs to be mounted foreward of the headlights, which sounds correct to be fair but the plate is probs one of the least of my worries right now.

Apparently it still goes by what state your licence was on the date of the ticket being issued.
lingl9z do u know if this is 100% correct m8?

+ has anyone had legal aid before, or would know how to go about getting it?

cheeers

,stew

lingl9z

Member +
It was when my mate got points buddy but then I guess it depends on how they wanna go about it or how good your solicitor is! Could be wrong, I've had legal aid before I obtained it by calling a solicitor and asking if there firm deal with legal aid as some don't take it on! So may need to ring a few ! It also works on how much you get paid if you get below the threshold then it's free, above it and you pay some and over no support, bare in mind they take savings, and property in to account (owned not rented) call community legal advice if you need help with 0845 435 4345 ( I think ) if not go www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk they could refer you to someone that can help!