Fadee!!

ktl

Member +
EBC disc, and yellow stuff pads and 5minutes of braking hard managed to get brakefade meaning i had to use the engine braking to come to a stop.

i got all new fluid dot5.1 so im thinking it time to upgrade to wilwoods or wms (bigger discs) ?

or does someone have a suggestion on fixing this fade!

Last edited:

Paul_JJ

Member +
They install the same brakes on Non Turbo 1.3L 5dr cars in Japan, what do you expect??? It's better with EBC Discs the standard setup is a complete waste!

Mark-ep91

Member +
are the brakes bled properly?
also brake are fairly spongey when just fitted you should give them a few days to bed in like!maybe its that?

Paul_JJ

Member +
I have Mintex 1144 pads, EBC Grooved/drilled Discs, Braided Lines, Rebuilt Calipers, 5.1 Toyota Dot - they faded (totally cooked! I could smell it) once after heavy braking (start/stop) within 10 min - even though they faded I still could brake (about 50% efficiency), about 2 min later they were back to normal. I wonder if that is a proper bedding in.

I've installed the braided lines first - before I've done any job on the brakes - the improvement is about 10% - 15% .....

I suggest to get a decent brake setup like Brembo! You always get what you pay for!

I drove a sport BMW of a friend of mine - touched the brakes and almost kissed the windscreen - he has STANDARD BMW 120d M Sport brakes with Standard 17" tyres - after those brakes my setup is a complete piece of shit!

Brakes don't look massive and nor drilled/grooved......

7.7 Sec 0-60 and does 60mpg!!!!!!

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications_detail/?seriesID=1&bodyID=KO07&modelTypeKey=ZB31

Here is what he's got......

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Automatic Stability Control (ASC + T)
Brake fade compensation
Brake Force Display
Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
Crash sensor activating central locking release, hazard warning lights, fuel cut-off and interior lighting
Deformation zones front and rear, door reinforcements and bumpers that regenerate to their original shape in impacts of up to 2.5 mph
Disc brakes - front and rear with brake pad sensors
Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)

addz

Member +
I used to get massive fade with old brake fluid and non braided lines.

Note: when me and my mate (mechanic) done the fluid change, we used something silly like 1-2 litres to get the old crap out through per caliper - just to get rid of the old shit which would stay seated in the system.

I then upgraded to braided lines all around with 5.1 motul brake fluid, and felt the improvement right away. I still get brake fade after a hard spanking, but my pads and discs both are about 2 years old.

To get ultimate breaking you simply need to go BIG - big power requires big brakes.

Edit: pads are mintex 1144s -
discs are 3g 10

If you experience brake fade on the road to such extent it is driver error. If it is on track it can be greatly reduced by getting some professional tuition ;).

Bigger/thicker discs will help dissipate the heat. Remember these cars are based on a small economy hatchback

Texx

Super Moderator
What you need to keep in mind is that the design of the stock brakes was based on a couple of custard creams clamping a rich tea biscuit, so even if you've upgraded the custard creams with a set of bourbons your still trying to clamp a rich tea biscuit. That leaves you with 2 options, as Dave has said adjust your driving style so you don't end up cooking the brakes, or upgrade the rich tea for some of those big fat cookies you get from the bakery in Tesco.

durmz

Member +
Lmfao terry, awesome description. Also as dave said, i drive hard quite alot of the time, rarely get fade, and you should be using down shifting to help slow down all the time, not just when u get fade. Its a shit setup so you hve to bear it in mind when driving fast

weeJohn

Lifer
Standard brakes are shit, upgrade for better performance.

We put cooling ducts and hoses from the front bumper to the discs on our trackcar and that made a difference as well.