fault code 24

Texx

Super Moderator
Code 24 is a intake air temperature sensor signal fault. Basically, either the sensor has died, there is a break or short in the sensor circuit or the ECU has an internal fault.

Unplug the IAT sensor and ECU connector 2 and check for any continuity or resistance between the the 2 pins in the IAT sensor connector. It should be open circuit so you shouldn't get any reading, if you do there is a short somewhere in the wire harness between the IAT sensor connector and ECU connector 2.

Assuming your findings are good, you need to then check each wire individually for continuity and resistance between the IAT sensor connector and ECU connector 2 pin-3 (IAT signal feedback) and pin-9 (E2 sensor ground), I'm unable to tell you the wire colours though but there's only 2 wires so you should be able to work it out by looking at the IAT sensor connector. Each wire should have continuity and a resistance reading of no higher than 0.1Ω.

Assuming that's all good, reconnect the ECU connector 2 but leave the IAT sensor connector disconnected. Then check for continuity and resistance between the IAT sensor connector pin that is attached to the wire you traced back to the ECU connector 2 pin-9 (E2 sensor ground) and body ground. You should again have continuity and a resistance reading of no higher than 0.1Ω.

If all the above readings are good, then either you have a fault with the IAT sensor or the ECU. I would donor a known good IAT sensor, clear the fault code and see if the fault clears. If it returns, then try a known good ECU.

munday

Member +
Code 24 is a intake air temperature sensor signal fault. Basically, either the sensor has died, there is a break or short in the sensor circuit or the ECU has an internal fault.

Unplug the IAT sensor and ECU connector 2 and check for any continuity or resistance between the the 2 pins in the IAT sensor connector. It should be open circuit so you shouldn't get any reading, if you do there is a short somewhere in the wire harness between the IAT sensor connector and ECU connector 2.

Assuming your findings are good, you need to then check each wire individually for continuity and resistance between the IAT sensor connector and ECU connector 2 pin-3 (IAT signal feedback) and pin-9 (E2 sensor ground), I'm unable to tell you the wire colours though but there's only 2 wires so you should be able to work it out by looking at the IAT sensor connector. Each wire should have continuity and a resistance reading of no higher than 0.1Ω.

Assuming that's all good, reconnect the ECU connector 2 but leave the IAT sensor connector disconnected. Then check for continuity and resistance between the IAT sensor connector pin that is attached to the wire you traced back to the ECU connector 2 pin-9 (E2 sensor ground) and body ground. You should again have continuity and a resistance reading of no higher than 0.1Ω.

If all the above readings are good, then either you have a fault with the IAT sensor or the ECU. I would donor a known good IAT sensor, clear the fault code and see if the fault clears. If it returns, then try a known good ECU.

Do you know the voltage output of this sensor by any chance? (0-5v?)

Could make for an easy air inlet temp gauge :)

EDIT: Repped for the good info!

Texx

Super Moderator

Most of the sensors are likely to use a 5v reference voltage to avoid any false readings resulting from a low battery voltage condition, but I couldn't tell you the exact resistance vs temperature spec.

Although I am working back at Toyota for the time being, so intend to abuse what access to technical information I can get. ;)

weeJohn

Lifer

EDIT: Repped for the good info!

That sensor and the water temp sensor work back to front to be able to be used for a gauge I think.

When the temp is low the resistance is high, and when the temp is high the resistance is low. Gauge sensors are usually the other way round I think.

Great info from Texx but!!!!