Few questions about Emanage Blue

sdutton007

Member +
Hi, my latest EP82 came with an Emanage Blue (and forged engine, TD04 - smoky and no boost, FMIC, FPR, exhaust, etc).

First thing I did was rip off the broken TD04 and replace it with my TD05 kit at 1bar. AMAZING on boost, bit slow and some hesitation off boost.

Finally got round to fitting my AEM wideband and discovered that the AFR drops to 10.0 when it hits boost then slowly leans out to around 14 when it gets higher up the rev range. I've played around with the dials on the front and got the AFR to stay roughly between 11.0 and 13.0 on boost) which still isn't great and have heard that the stock ECU can then wrongly alter the timing?

Also there are a few issues which I suspect might be caused by the Emanage:
- The previously mentioned hesitation off boost
- Lack of power above about 7000rpm (although I figure it could possibly be caused by the injectors maxing out?)
- ignition cut about 6800rpm when car isn't moving

For the time being, am I safe to just unplug the two big plugs for the time being so the stock ECU controls everything, turn the boost down a bit and obviously keep a close eye on the wideband?

Also, can I just download the emanage software to my laptop, get a USB-A to USB-A cable and have a look at how it's set up and any error codes? I eventually want to learn to tune cars and have heard that computer programmers (like myself) are well suited to mapping... but don't really know where to begin. I've looked at the emanage setup manual but it's written in gibberish lol.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post and cheers in advance.

Last edited:

davehart

Member +
Forged td05 @ 1bar on a stock ECU or on an emanage map for a td04?

I'd get it setup properly by a reputable mapper so you don't damage the engine.

I wouldn't want to fiddle with it and try to put a map on it myself.

triple j

Member +
your car will run like shit if u just plug it out, u would have to unwire it from the ecu loom and join a few wires back up

sdutton007

Member +
Forged td05 @ 1bar on a stock ECU or on an emanage map for a td04?

I'd get it setup properly by a reputable mapper so you don't damage the engine.

I wouldn't want to fiddle with it and try to put a map on it myself.

I assume the emanage is setup for a tdo4 since thats what came on the car. Ive run

td04/td05 setups at 0.85 bar successfully for years on the stock ecu, and modifying the fuel settings shouldn't be too difficult if I had a guide on how to use the software safely. Too bad theres not an Adjusting Fuel Values For Dummies book lol. Im not going to play around with anything without knowing what im doing though but I do want to learn.

your car will run like shit if u just plug it out, u would have to unwire it from the ecu loom and join a few wires back up

Yeah that was what I was worried about :(

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

AdamB

Member +
If you want to learn you would be far better off with a standalone. As the values you enter are the values you get, none of this tricking and playing games bullshit.

Go onto manufacturers websites and download their software, have a play and get used to it, 9/10 times software across all ecu's is very very similar.

sdutton007

Member +
If you want to learn you would be far better off with a standalone. As the values you enter are the values you get, none of this tricking and playing games bullshit.

Go onto manufacturers websites and download their software, have a play and get used to it, 9/10 times software across all ecu's is very very similar.

I'd really like to but I don't really have a clue what I'm doing with fuelling and ignition maps - can you recommend any resources to learn mapping?

One thing I don't understand about engine mapping is why a standalone ECU can't just use it's multitude of sensors to map itself based on things like AFR, inlet pressure, knock, ignition temperatures. I mean you could just install the ECU, set some basic settings such as injector size, number of cylinders, ignition type (coil pack, dizzy, coil-on-plug), etc and then drive it around and let it do it's thing. You might also need to setup conversions for each sensor (e.g. the calculation to convert between the resistance/voltage of a sensor and the actual value). I can't think of a single reason this isn't possible to do, and any computer processor could calculate these things in real-time far better than any human ever could. :S

sdutton007

Member +
I've just had another random thought lol - I know many standalone ECUs can connect to my AEM wideband and use it to get far more accurate AFR readings..... can the Emanage do the same thing?

AdamB

Member +
I don't believe the emanage has a wideband input, maybe wrong though.

A standalone ecu can essentially map itself, you can set target AFR values, most software allows this. The trouble with it is that it either plays things too lean or too rich, too much timing or too little and it only takes a second with the wrong values to destroy an engine. It's a good idea to get a base down, but I wouldn't trust it for a full blown map, some human tweaking would always be advantageous.

If you want to have a fiddle with some good software check out Haltech, within the software they offer an explanation to every setting, and they offer an FAQ's and a manual to help set the ecu up. It's one of my favorites to play with and I know Chris@CCM also loves the Haltech's.

http://www.haltech.com/downloads-2/ecu-software-firmware/

I wouldn't know anywhere that offers a resource to learn mapping, you could check out EFI101 as they are pretty good on there and even offer classes, although they very rarely come over here to the UK :(

http://www.efi101.com/index.html

Just to add, there's some books you can get that will be good for bedtime reading if you want to brush up on some knowledge.
One of which is "How to tune and modify engine management systems"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/How-to-Tu...1083720570?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item232d4a9f7a

It's a good book, pretty basic and easy to get the grasp of it.

Last edited:

triple j

Member +
U can have the emanage blue do auto tune via wide band signal, its a lot of messing about to get it going right, u will need another program called emanage tools, i never tryed it because i could never get the program to work, i have being useing the emanage blue myself for over a year now and i find it ok once u get your head around things, one thing u will also want to make up is some kind of det dection device like det cans.

elison

Member +
To use the emanage tool you would have to buy to emanage support cable. Used it in the past with success. But now im running a Haltech Sprint 500 ECU which is a very very good ECU to start with as stand alone. The software is almost DIY designed. Mapped my car my self with great results. Its also fairly priced.