Filter on Turbo

I don't think you can run a filter of the turbo as I think the oil filter will be in the way.you can mesh it no bothers lot of turbos like that but if I was you I would make up are buy pipe work, filter and move it to the grill..

churcherj

Member +
aha, didn't think of that. I'll probably run filter up front then. Thanks dude

as said mate running it off the turbo like that would be really difficult, never seen it done due to space under the bonnet! get some silicone bends or a relocation kit and stick it to the front, will draw in colder air and help the turbo response, ur probably need to gut the aircon aswell if u didnt already know :)

Yea where they have the oil filter is a pain but yea relocate the air filter to behind the grill.it will run much better,sound and look great :)

Good man churcherj forgot to tell him a bout the AC

Last edited:

biscuit

Member +
A/C is gone already - Might order an ECC relocate, just need the pipes, got a GREEN filter that'll pop on the end to save a few pennies.

Might aswell as i'm porting the w/gate.

biscuit

Member +
I've looked on eBay, can't find any 38/40mm l shapes, how'd you go about making one up. I have seen that 'stuart' made one from the OEM topmount IC pipes etc

J25GTi

Lifer
Sfs hoses or melin motorsport should have some. Or forge motorsport.

But also it doesn't have to be the exaclt size. Cos it will clamp down if you use a slightly larger size

biscuit

Member +
Merlin M has the right sizes, but it's gonna be around £31 for 2 L bends, then the cost of the pipe+ clips, comes to about the same as the ECC one

churcherj

Member +
Merlin M has the right sizes, but it's gonna be around £31 for 2 L bends, then the cost of the pipe+ clips, comes to about the same as the ECC one

Go onto ebay mate! 20 quid tops for 2 silicone bends, cant remember the place i always get mine from now, as said they dont need to be exact, just a 90 degree reducing bend off the turbo, a bit of aluminium piping to join, another reducer to go from the pipe to ur filter, measure up ur filter and work it out :)

churcherj

Member +
This info is good for me too, would you put some heat wrap on it too??

do u mean heat wrap the silicone bends mate? the silicone wont get hold at all, its not like a manifold etc, plus u want to avoid keeping the heat in, the colder air the better :) you could use heat reflective tape as sometimes used on intercooler piping? or is that what u mean?

i dont really think wrapping it in anything would do anything at all, noone i know has done it and cant really see many benefits.....

J25GTi

Lifer
There won't be any benefit to heatwrapping or reflective tape etc. The pipe is so short it won't have time to warm up the air when your moving

danb87

South East England Area Rep
as said, i just meshed mine, gave it a nice sound on spool up. was told in prolongs the life of turbo but thats a risk you take.

churcherj

Member +
Yes bud that is what i mean churcherj thanks bud

ok mate :) as said u cud do, but i wouldnt waste my money, it wont get hot really and the cold air will be sucked in from the front where its coldest :)

running a filter should in theory extend the life of the turbo due too a better filtration than mesh but its all down to personal preference really! ive heard meshed does sound nice tho, but id rather have a turbo that wont suck in bits (small animals for some people :) lol )

Yea where they have the oil filter is a pain but yea relocate the air filter to behind the grill.it will run much better,sound and look great :)

just made mine and its great with a Hybrid CT9, everything improved like tubby response to boost much better ,turbo spooling earlier, better induction sound, dumpvalve sound etc etc. experienced a bit of boost creep but i've just corrected it with the boost controller!