fined £60 for numbers plates today

i got pulled over by the police today, for my front number plate which fair enough it is to small so i accepted that so he give me a £30 fine, i said to him is my back number plate ok then which i think is fine, and he turns around to me with a smug look on his face and said to me well now you mention it you can have another £30 fine for that too, a right b**lend he was but the £60 fine he give me, he wrote the wrong date on it, instead of putting 20/03/11 he's put 20/03/10 which makes it a year out of date so would i have a case to dispute or am i best just paying the fine??

lewism1

Member +
i got pulled over by the police today, for my front number plate which fair enough it is to small so i accepted that so he give me a £30 fine, i said to him is my back number plate ok then which i think is fine, and he turns around to me with a smug look on his face and said to me well now you mention it you can have another £30 fine for that too, a right b**lend he was but the £60 fine he give me, he wrote the wrong date on it, instead of putting 20/03/11 he's put 20/03/10 which makes it a year out of date so would i have a case to dispute or am i best just paying the fine??

unlucky mate i heard they were clamping down on plates aswell. what was wrong with ur back one?

si2001

Member +
It's unlucky but I don't think you would have much come back with it. Especially if there were no independent witnesses.

td04 project:)

Member +
Even if you got away with it the copper sounds like the kind of prick to take offence and would be on your back 24/7 their after!! Go fight some real crimes ya cock!! Unlucky mate:(

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
the answer to your question is no.u do not have to pay it.if the officer has written the wrong date then that makes the fine void.if this was to go to court then he would check his record of the fine(which would read the right date) and then you would present ur fine and both dates would different making the conviction null and void.bang goes the hammer and out the door u go with 60 quid still in ur back burner:)

btw if u go to the station to ask about this DO NOT hand over your slip as they may correct it

darren

si2001

Member +
What really annoys me is all the Range Rover Vogues and the like driving around with full tints and number plates with back to front lettering and nothing ever happens with these rich toffs as I see them month in month out unchanged. The modified car market is just easy pickings for the police to get their quotas up. I know this because in the past I've just been parked up at a retail park talking with mates and the police have pulled up and find me on the spot for tints. I ripped them out there and then but I still had the fine to pay.

danb87

South East England Area Rep
what size are your plates mate? i have 9"x7" i thought these wer undersized but ive had no issues with them too date. i was told aslong as the lettering style, an size an spaced properly with a company name on the bottom then there fine. but then again ive never had any problems with the fuzz about mine. touch wood lol

Si-W

Member +
i got pulled a few weeks back about my plates, writing is all fine but just because it doesnt have the code on the bottom right was told there is a fine, managed to talk the guy around as i hadnt changed the plates so wasnt aware of it but depends who the copper is in all fairness in my glanza around my area if i park at kfc and eat food police will come over do a check on everything, in last 2 months ive been stop checked 7 times and only once have they mentioned plates..

tbh need to start recording each time i get stopped becoming ridiculous.

fishman

Member +
i got pulled a few weeks back about my plates, writing is all fine but just because it doesnt have the code on the bottom right was told there is a fine, managed to talk the guy around as i hadnt changed the plates so wasnt aware of it but depends who the copper is in all fairness in my glanza around my area if i park at kfc and eat food police will come over do a check on everything, in last 2 months ive been stop checked 7 times and only once have they mentioned plates..

tbh need to start recording each time i get stopped becoming ridiculous.

Know a guy with a skyline who was constantly pulled and recorded all dates, went to head office of the police and spoke to someone of importance, all mods declared, mot'd taxed etc, said will go about legal action for harassment, and he's had a note against his file and hasn't been pulled since

Johnboy GT

Member +
I got pulled for having pressed metal plates on my 306. They were from France (Had a mate get them when he was over). The lettering has to be 79mm tall and 14mm wide, mine was 76mm tall and 11mm wide. They can also pull you for not displaying where the plate was made, like a motorfactors name at the bottom and for any form of sign at the side of your reg that is not a gb sign. But i agree with Darren, because he has wrote the wrong date, he has no proof that he actually pulled you on the right date..

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
looked into this in a little more detail as my uncle is a solicitor

the officer hasnt got a leg to stand on as its his responsabality to record all dates as neccesary.

he said make a copy of the fine(photo or scan it) and take the copy to the station and dispute it.they will either accept ther mistake and do away with the fine(95% of the time apparently)or be stupid and look to take you to court over it and waste taxpayers money as its going to be dismised anyway and they hav to pay for it:)

so theres your information matey:)

darren