Flutter through airfilter but not dumpvalve?

rob16v

Member +
As the title says my dump valve dumps fine but at the same time I hear flutter through the air filter is that normal? What will stop it if any thing?

GlanzaMat

Member +
yes its normal; the noise you hear is compressor stall - on most turbo charged cars (if fitted with a D/V) you will hear it at low rpm/boost. what d/v do you have?

on my old cosworth (2.2 bar of boost) the spring i had in the D/V was very strong, therefore the boost being generated at low rpm was not enough to open the d/v, so the waste used to come through the cone filter

if you've got a cone filter the noise will be amplified

J25GTi

Lifer
iv an ssqv, is there any way to only make the nois come out the dumpvalve

no there isnt.

And it is not called compressor stall or anything like that (wastegate chatter etc, its nothing like these). All it is is the dump valve isnt opening, because there isnt enough boost pressure, and some of the compressed air is feeding back down the piping through your turbo, and the turbo blades are cutting the air the wrong way.

(think of it like swinging something on a string fast through the air and it makes the "wooshing" noise)

Wether it damages the turbo or not thats for you to decide, some people say it will, some people say it wont, I think on low boost applications like a ct9 etc, i dont think it will. I have ran mine without for a year now with no issues... But some people obviously will.

GlanzaMat

Member +
no there isnt.

And it is not called compressor stall or anything like that (wastegate chatter etc, its nothing like these). All it is is the dump valve isnt opening, because there isnt enough boost pressure, and some of the compressed air is feeding back down the piping through your turbo, and the turbo blades are cutting the air the wrong way.

(think of it like swinging something on a string fast through the air and it makes the "wooshing" noise)

Wether it damages the turbo or not thats for you to decide, some people say it will, some people say it wont, I think on low boost applications like a ct9 etc, i dont think it will. I have ran mine without for a year now with no issues... But some people obviously will.

it is called compressor stall as the air is slowing/stopping blades from spinning in their intended direction.

if you have a hand held fan with the blades spinning, if you can blow hard enough on the blades you will stop them from spinning - same principle for turbo

unless you are running monster boost it will not damage the turbo IMO; in extreame cases i have seen the shaft snap, but i'm talking 2.5 bar of boost on a gt3076

Last edited: