Footwell lights; plus fuse question

Motor

Member +
Cleaning the car this evening and discovered I've lights in the footwells. Did some further investigating and the drivers' side is connected to a grey box. There are two wires coming out (black and red) which aren't connected up.

IMG_0299.jpg

Anyone know where these connect to as I'd like to have my new discovery working.

Also wondering what the DEF-I/UP 5A fuse is used for; located in the fusebox in the footwell; as it's the only fuse that is missing. Connected to the footwell lights maybe?
Cheers Dylan

bucketep91

Member +
thats a little optional extra youve found there mate. do you have an illuminated ignition barrel too?

im not too sure what theyre connected up to tho

bucketep91

Member +
does it have a little plastic ring around it? trace the wires back and see what you can do

i recently remved an illuminated barrel from my GT, the wires spliced into the loom behind the dash at the passenger side

Motor

Member +
Right, I've traced the three sleeved wires the footwell lights and the ignition barrel light (bottom two) and the third (top) is connected to a live and ground in the loom. One black (small top) is an earth. The black and red (bottom) are the second footwell light.
Have everything connected up and still nothing. What have I missed?
Edit: Light bulbs are perfect too.

Last edited:

Johnboy GT

Member +
Right, I've traced the three sleeved wires the footwell lights and the ignition barrel light (bottom two) and the third (top) is connected to a live and ground in the loom. One black (small top) is an earth. The black and red (bottom) are the second footwell light.
Have everything connected up and still nothing. What have I missed?
Edit: Light bulbs are perfect too.

You just said what i was gonna say mate.

weeJohn

Lifer
The wiring is odd, I got the lighted ignition barrel to work on Nanglebadgers car but had to swap the wires around to do it.

I think the box has a timer circuit in it as well so it needs to have a 12 volt supply all the time, probably the red and black. The third wire at the top you called the earth will probably need to be connected to the interior light switch wire as it needs to know when the doors are opened to switch on.

I dont know what wire that is but sorry, you will have to trace it.

Motor

Member +
are they fused?

Check your getting voltage at them with a multimeter.

You were bang on mate, was an old glass fuse hidden behind a load of other wires; changed that and got light. Won't turn off though as it's linked to a constant live so trying to get it linked to the doors now... Hate electrics :p