forge pistons + standard rods?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
isit possible to use forged pistons with standard rods?

i know its a crude way of doing it but ive just melted a piston and cant really afford rods at the same time right now and need the car back on the road asap.

isit possible? and can you use oversized pistons or will it have to be standard size to fit the rods..

cheers in advance

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
it is possible.. and i think you could use same rods even when getting oversized pistons but lets leave that to someone who knows for sure!

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah cheers sheldon, need a definitive answer tho before ordering lol :)

or shall i just get rods on the old credit card :( so hard to decide

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
well if your planing to put in rods in the future might aswell put rods now so you dont have to open the car twice! will cost you more!

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah i understand that, thats the problem tho im pretty skint at the moment and really didnt need it at this time, i dont know wether just to replace with standard pistons or go for forge items.

can standard rods handle 1.4 bar boost? i think its only revs that really kill rods isnt it?

bimboy

Member +
If a starndard engine can handle 18psi why can a standard engine with forged pistons be productive, rpm kills rods not boost, so yes you can keep your standard rods, no problems. Yes it would be stronger if you had forged rods but who cares, get them when you can unless you want to rev the balls off your engine.:haha:

Gee

Member +
I bent a rod and it was not because of rev's. It was boost...my actuator hose was not connected.

This was unlimited boost until bang, but still :D

Monkfish

Member +
Go for the rods too. An engine will only be as strong as its weakest point.

+1

Infact, I would go as far as saying using forged rods and stock pistons would be better than forged pistons and stock rods. After all, it is the rods that take the brunt of the abuse in an engine.

If you are planning on forging in the future, why not just buy some second hand pistons from someone who has recently forged up, then save to buy the forged pistons and rods and do the pair together? Do it properly and do it once, and all that.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah i understand that, but you see the caribbean lads doing it alot, and they seem to run 350whp and dont seem to have any problems.

ive got a choice to be sensible and just replace with standard items, or grow some balls and just forge the engine..

i didnt really plan to go forged but my engine has just melted a piston so ive got decision on my hands.. hmmmmmm!

thefalls

Member +
As long as you have the engine out and have the facilities of someone forging it then go ahead mate....its not everyday that you take the engine out!

nexia201

Member +
why pull the engine out? im changing pistons and rings on my engine with big ends bearings but all im taking off is head and sump! did my daihatsu td before like that and came good. and i will be useing the standard pistons as they should be reliable up to 12-14psi and i dont mean to push it more than that.(running with forged , T3 engined glanza is enough for me with 12 psi and if i push it more i will get problems in the shafts. Plus you saw the thread where they are running over 300bhp with std internals so dont spend a fortune now just run it on new std internals as they come cheap and when more comftable with dosh then go forged

dantheman

Member +
adam if you get stuck i have a mint low mileage bottom end sitting here that just needs the head putting on. and not far from you (heathrow) :) then rebuild your old engine PROPERLY as and when you get some £££ ;)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
basically what happened was a spark plug tip broke and ended up fucking a valve and a piston, going down the bores and into the sump.

has scraped the crank also so that is out. needs the bore honing so its in bits atm

problem is i dont really wanna buy pistons now then have to strip it down all over again, my dad is quite impatient with my car lol and doesnt get much time at work to do it, making money and all that pulava..

bimboy

Member +
yeah i understand that, but you see the caribbean lads doing it alot, and they seem to run 350whp and dont seem to have any problems.

ive got a choice to be sensible and just replace with standard items, or grow some balls and just forge the engine..

i didnt really plan to go forged but my engine has just melted a piston so ive got decision on my hands.. hmmmmmm!

Yes this is true I am from the caribbean, that is what we do. Not too sure about 350hp but the cars I know like that work well. And it is hot and we have poor gas. Forged pistons and std rods are not like johnny bravo because forged pistons are lighter than std units and better balanced hence it makes sense as an upgrade alone.

H

hoochhenry

listen do it the way suits you best if you havnt got the money just do it your way aleast youll be back on the road then let us know how you got on:drive: