forged engine smoking after 2000miles? help

mitchracer

Member +
was hoping somebody could tell me what is making my car smoke so much, has only started within the last 100miles or so- bit of background on the car. engine was forged about 2000miles ago, had 1.2mm metal headgasket fitted with arp headbolts, scat rods, wiseco pistons, valves reseated and the car has been mapped to 240bhp at 1.5bar on tdo4 turbo.

heres a video of the car when it has been left to warm for around 10minutes and reached right temp, and try and block out the noise of my annoying thrush bearing lol

[video=youtube;_0K9RBajBSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0K9RBajBSI[/video]

help would be much appreciated

weeJohn

Lifer
It burning oil by the look of it. Check the intercooler pipes first, there should be no more than a thin film of oil inside the pipes, any more than that and the turbo seals are gone and leaking oil into the inlet. If the pipes are clear, remove the exhaust mani and check for burnt or even wet oil marks from the valve guides in the exhaust ports, thats a sign of leaking valve stem oil seals. If thats clear try a compression test and see what the results are, there is still a possibility of ring or piston damage on a forged engine.

mitchracer

Member +
K cheers lads, il try those things out, I did pull the intercooler off at the inlet and it was dry but I'm guessing I need to test the turbo side? Also what sort of number should I be looking for on a compression test? Thanks for the reply

AdamB

Member +
Anything above about 160psi is a good healthy engine. But it should also be within 1 bar/14.5psi across all the cylinders.

mitchracer

Member +
I'm not sure if you can see in the video, but this video was taken when I tried the Pcv thing, I put a bolt in the end of the pipe goin to the inlet, think I did it right to test it, il have a look at the compression tomorrow, hoping it isn't that, find it hard to understand if it is the pistons or something internal as Iv just had everything done and the power I'm running isn't a mental amount compared to some people

Rory

Lifer
What fuel pressure?
Whip the down pipe off and see if the turbo is wet, if it is either the seals in the turbo or your motor spitting oil.

Might want to get the tools out and find out.