forged piston swap

gedis

Member +
lads i got gt in here that droped the valve and damaged forged ross piston 75mm, there isnt even a mark on the block, so just wondering should he get new set of 75mm pistons and will be o.k or get something like 75.25mm pistons and give it new fresh bore?

gedis

Member +
its the lad from west cork, finbar he's name, black square light gt with rotas, you know him?

gedis

Member +
If the bore is still sized, then give it a quick hone, and drop the new pistons in
the bore is in perfect condition, not even the lightest scrach on it, also he done only 5000miles after rebore to 75mm. he wants to go different make pistons, and i was wodering, what if the piston to wall clearence wont pass with forged pistons expanding with the heat, just trying to make sure to get right ones, cause he's going for big power on this build

Rory

Lifer
That could be an issue.

Depending on what pistons he wants to go for, most piston manufactures have all the specs on there website for piston to wall clearance etc.
Mabey you will get lucky and find some that will drop in, but i would recomend a slight hone for the new rings to bed in on.

weeJohn

Lifer
Buy a single Ross piston and swap the rings over.

Why does he want to change brands? The Ross he has in the other bores are fine are they not?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Buy a single Ross piston and swap the rings over.

Why does he want to change brands? The Ross he has in the other bores are fine are they not?

thats what i was thinking..... :rolleyes:

350ep70gr

Member +
If the bore is that fresh just a light hone and a new set of pistons as i dont think ross supply only one. And new rings aswell.
Why droped a valve?
If you go different brand you may need more job to do. You need to do a search and see the new selected brand what clearence suggest and the mesure the your bores to deside further actions.
I am very happy with the ROSS tho..;)

Chris

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
If the bore is that fresh just a light hone and a new set of pistons as i dont think ross supply only one. And new rings aswell.
Why droped a valve?
If you go different brand you may need more job to do. You need to do a search and see the new selected brand what clearence suggest and the mesure the your bores to deside further actions.
I am very happy with the ROSS tho..;)

Chris

same here, iv been running the same set of ross 74mm pistons for the past 5 years now... and trust me they have seen alot of work, boost, and crap setups in the past.. the only pistons i ever reccomend apart from ross are arias... but thats about it ;) (if ur wondering why its because they both have the best ratio of silicone to aluminium materials used).

kon

gedis

Member +
he wants to go high boost, low comp, so its going for dished ones, also doing rods as the old ones were standart, yes all the rest of the pistons is fine