Frequently hard to select a gear when driving?

Monty

Member +
Hi guys, im having a problem right noe which is that when i am driving it is sometimes hard to select gears. Sometimes the gears change no problem but others i just cant select a gear like coming out of 4th into 3rd etc it will jam trying to get it in, but if i keep tryin to pull the gearstick into gear it will eventually go. Any ideas?

M

ktl

Member +
Hi guys, im having a problem right noe which is that when i am driving it is sometimes hard to select gears. Sometimes the gears change no problem but others i just cant select a gear like coming out of 4th into 3rd etc it will jam trying to get it in, but if i keep tryin to pull the gearstick into gear it will eventually go. Any ideas?

M

sounds like synchros

turbo-roj

Member +
I'd say it's the Synchro's I would try double clutching - i.e. clutch down, take it out of gear, clutch up, clutch down, engage gear, not ideal but may say crunchin

dac69er

Super Moderator
is your clutch disengaging properly? is the slave cylinder leaking or do you have low fluid or air in the system?

Member +
is it worse at high speed? if so have checked the level of oil in your gearbox? too much will cause problems going into gears

blackbullet

Member +
This used to happen to me going from 3rd to 4th. After a while I realized that the car was shuddering really badly. When my mechanic checked the clutch some of the springs had popped out the the metal on the clutch was cracked. This has happened to me with two different clutches. ACT and SPEC. Now I just use a stock clutch with a uprated SPEC pressure plate.